• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

South bridge too hot to handle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Well I have the Abit Nf7-S and it has one hot south bridge apparently. I have an active north bridge cooler and it still heats up. How I am noticing this is the sound in the left ear start to go bad and fuzzy then just spurts fuzz after some gaming. After I exit the game and say play an mp3 it gradually goes away.

The 1st heatsink I had on it was just a passive heatsink. I used the thermal tape that came with it. Later I noticed this fuzzing after about 1.5 hours of sound intensive apps. So I put the north bridge on it. (Lapped it, applied Ceramique and super glued the edges) Now I might say it heats up faster. RAA!!:mad:

I am pretty sure this is caused by improper contact. Perhaps the super glue it drying to fast and holding the sink away from the chip just enough. Well I am going to get some arctic alumina and use that instead.

I need the adhesive anyways for my mofset heatsink that I am making (stock amd cooler). I don’t want it to be permanent so is the proper procedure just to mix normal Ceramique with Alumina at 50-50? Or should I go with as3 adhesive and normal as3. I have both normal but no adhesives. Is the ratio 50 50 or something else?

How safe is it to sand away at the chips themselves? I need to get that super glue off. Perhaps only sand until the words come off the chips and then a little past that? Thx for reading my blurb :D

Last edited:
OMG....dude, you just answered my friends question about why his sound crackles sometimes while gaming! He has tried 2 sound cards and both do it.

About your thread..I have no idea...but thanks for posting it! My friend will be happy too!

NcBaller1985 said:
OMG....dude, you just answered my friends question about why his sound crackles sometimes while gaming! He has tried 2 sound cards and both do it.

About your thread..I have no idea...but thanks for posting it! My friend will be happy too!

I got the impression that Big_Baller is using NForce2 audio, which is a different situation from someone who uses a PCI card; the latter has little to do with the SouthBridge...

It's reasonably safe to sand the chip itself, but be careful doing it. You don't want to take it too far, and there is a risk of damaging nearby components accidentally.

As for the semi-permanent attachment; I'd try replacing the superglue with slightly larger spots of adhesive and using paste for the rest. The adhesive is unlikely to cause the rising effect you attribute to the superglue.

yes, and make sure you press the heatsink down nice and firmly. Lie your case down flat and also place something heavy(ish) like a large fan or something to keep the pressure on till the glue dries. I know its all common sense, but i'm just covering all bases.

Ya if someone is using a PCI sound card and it crackles that isn't a good thing. To my knowledge PCI sound cards don't need a heatsink. does he overclock? Now to order some adhesive.

Oh guys: cutting an AMD heatsink (I think this one is copper) with a hack saw takes awhile. That moffset sink is taking a little longer than expected to cut out.

Yeah. I just hacked up an old p3 for individual sinks... took 2 blades and about 3 hours.

RangerJoe said:
http://www.alterahosting.com/~bloody/rangerjoe/Computer%20Pics/New_Board/Full_Case2.JPG

NB heatsink on the SB...works great [/B][/QUOTE]

Ha ha. 91495 bytes. GG on the "image compression"

[quote="Big_Baller"][B]Except for ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism WAR has never solved anything......[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah dood, the US sure did stomp out communism after it declated war on Russia, invaded Moscow, and TOTALLY KICKED COMMUNISM RIGHT IN THE FACE!!

oh wai

also, last time I checked, laws like the Emancipation proclamation ended slavery, not "WAR"

Last edited:
hm.. my friend with an 8rda+ has the same prob he says his sound gets all crackly after a while and he has to restart.. i wonder if the onboard sound on all the nforce boards make the southbridge toasty?

max

Namagomi said:

Yeah dood, the US sure did stomp out communism after it declated war on Russia, invaded Moscow, and TOTALLY KICKED COMMUNISM RIGHT IN THE FACE!!

oh wai

also, last time I checked, laws like the Emancipation proclamation ended slavery, not "WAR"

Well at least war rendered communism economically insignificant but I am not gona argue it too much because this is the wrong forum and you are partly right. Oh and please tell me you have heard of the civil war and what it was about and what is accomplished.

Back on topic: I ordered some Arctic silver adheasive, it should be here soon. I hope it will solve my Sb heat issues. I am now modifiying a volcano 5 to fit over the moffsets and volt reg chip (why not its just right of the mofs and it saves me some cutting) Can I get it confirmed that 50% adheasive mix and 50% as3 will enable me to someday take off the heatsink?

Big_Baller said:

Well at least war rendered communism economically insignificant but I am not gona argue it too much because this is the wrong forum and you are partly right. Oh and please tell me you have heard of the civil war and what it was about and what is accomplished.

Back on topic: I ordered some Arctic silver adheasive, it should be here soon. I hope it will solve my Sb heat issues. I am now modifiying a volcano 5 to fit over the moffsets and volt reg chip (why not its just right of the mofs and it saves me some cutting) Can I get it confirmed that 50% adheasive mix and 50% as3 will enable me to someday take off the heatsink?

The arctic silver mix (I have some) comes with the adhesive and the silver and says to use a 50/50 mix. Here has instructions for various arctic compounds. I have referred to it many times.

As far as the NB (for my signature rig) goes i just lapped it and put AS3 on it and used the clip pins that came with it to mount it.

No no i know all about appling it. I have heard somwhere that (yes a 1:1 ratio or the 2 compounds makes the adheasive but I am talking about taking half mixed adheasive and then half normal as3 to weaken the bond so that it can later be pryed off. Weakening the bond so that is isn't permanat.

hmm...not sure but i figure you will still be able to lift it even if you don't mix it with AS3. Just use a hair dryer to heat up the bond when you want to remove it. This is what I used to get the sink off with the original thermal paste. I have never actually used the adhesive yet and have never tried to remove it.

Sounds be a good idea though...

Eroc said:
hmm...not sure but i figure you will still be able to lift it even if you don't mix it with AS3. Just use a hair dryer to heat up the bond when you want to remove it. This is what I used to get the sink off with the original thermal paste. I have never actually used the adhesive yet and have never tried to remove it.

Sounds be a good idea though...

The hairdryer method may work with thermal paste, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't with adhesive- that stuff is designed to stick... even when heated.

Back