• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+: Passive Heatsink Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cintrone

Registered
For present 8RDA+ owners, what is the safest and easiest way to remove the passive heatsinks for both the northbridge and southbridge chipsets? Also what is the best way to remove the adhesive? All comments will be greatly appreciated.

I've removed the HS on the NB of my board by removing the plastic clips and by blowing directly on the HS hot air with a hairdryer for 20sec.Then it came out easily.
I removed the adhesive with alcohol isotopic.

I removed mine by just pulling them off.

The **** they secure them with is just crappy thermal gum....shouldn't hold that well

(although I switched the heatsinks on my board before I even booted it up, so it may have just been that mine were un-melted)

I used heat-gun and it twisted off with little resistance.

Removed the mess with xylene (Oops, Goof-Off, etc.) and cleaned up with alcohol.

Take a good look at the NB surface. Mine was seriously concave. It took an hour with 600-grit paper to get it flat.

Hope this helps!

Back