• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 and IC7 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdunosk

Registered
System specs:

p4 2.4GHz
Abit IC7
Radeon 9800 non-pro
Enermax 450W PSU

When I turn the PC on for the first time, no problems... I go into the BIOS, get it up and running (just adjusting the CPU and FSB to stock). The next boot, I get a message saying I have not plugged the power cord into the Radeon, refer to installation instructions. The cord is in there -- what gives, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Try using a different Molex connector from the PSU and plug it directly into the 9800 eliminating the cable that came with the VC.

1. One guess is that there is an intermittant connection in the power cabling to the 9800.

2. If that is not it, then the circuitry on the 9800, which detects whether power is available through the molex, may be defective.

3. Maybe the 5V rail on your PSU is sagging to low to keep the VC happy.

If possible look at the 5V rail at the molex connector where it is soldered to the VC. See if the voltage there stays near 5V. If it does, I'd say it is the card itself that is the problem.

FYI to all, it was an issue with one strip of molex connectors. I don't know why the others are not affected, and why everything else seems to run just fine off that line. At any rate, thanks for the input. I thought I had changed the plug, but probably plugged the extension cord from the 9800 into another on this line since my cords were folded neatly.

You should run a Molex that's unshared with any other devises.

I had an issue with my 9800 pro and it disapeared when I used a clean molex.

(Got an ic7 as well) ;)

Back