• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KR7A & KR7A-Raid CPU options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toadwart

I was looking for some definitive information on what the maximum cpu upgrade would be for these motherboards. The Abit info sites I've seen all list ~1900+ as the max, but that's from when the boards were first made. I can find 2600's that have 266 bus speeds, which I think would probably work as they're still Socket A, but I'm seeking confirmation from others that have upgraded/use higher than Athlon XP 1900's in these boards. I've got one of each, but don't think there would be any technical reason why they both couldn't handle the same CPUs.

Toad-man

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

Well they did release a BIOS update that supported an XP2100+ Palomino before but soon retracted the support for it. The problem in the KR7A - | RAID | 133R series is with the MULTIPLIER, most common limit is 12.5X, unlike with the older boards having issues with power regulation. Basically stick with a CPU that has a multiplier of 12.5X & below or you can buy any 266FSB CPU & mod the bridges to default at 12.5X & use the FSB to clock to whatever clockspeed you like. You might want to take a look at THIS THREAD for some tips.

Back