• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!!! God is with ME!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

In my quest to lower my temps, today I got around to reapplying AS3. An easy job to some, I screwed up tremendously. I got the crap ALL OVER my chip. It was everywhere, in every nook and cranny. So I used about 15 lens cleaning tissues and isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned the whole dam thing. When I was done, there was still residue all over the chip, but I said F it. I reapplied the AS3, turned on my comp expecting the chip to be gone, and walla, its still running tough. Now lets see if my temps are any better.

BeanTownBrawler said:
In my quest to lower my temps, today I got around to reapplying AS3. An easy job to some, I screwed up tremendously. I got the crap ALL OVER my chip. It was everywhere, in every nook and cranny. So I used about 15 lens cleaning tissues and isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned the whole dam thing. When I was done, there was still residue all over the chip, but I said F it. I reapplied the AS3, turned on my comp expecting the chip to be gone, and walla, its still running tough. Now lets see if my temps are any better.

I would never risk that but, holy crap you are lucky :D
If you get the time, i suggest cleaning the chip properly

Well, you're lucky you only got it on the chip or else you wouldn't even know where the AS is if it dripped on your motherboard. :eek:

You should clean it with a lint free cloth. That way you won't have any residue left over.

Well, as is well right now and my temps dropped significantly (around 5-7 c). Will this AS3 residue on the chip ever cause problems or am I all clear? I really dont wanna deal with it anymore and risk this happening again, I am now satisfied with the application.

if you want to be really safe you should go make sure it's all cleaned off. if you think you did a really good job before and you're really lazy you could just leave it there :D

my temps are good and I dont wanna mess around anymore, is there any specific risk you can notify me of?

I've found that Arctic Silver residue is very hard to clean off of the brown circuit-board-like part of the chip. In a very thin layer, I don't see that there could be any problem with it. It's NOT conductive, only slightly capacitive, so unless you got a big glob on one of the bridges, you should be perfectly okay.

BeanTownBrawler said:
An easy job to some, I screwed up tremendously. I got the crap ALL OVER my chip.
LOL, how did you do that? Uncontrollably sneeze really hard while squeezing the syringe?

Restorer said:
I've found that Arctic Silver residue is very hard to clean off of the brown circuit-board-like part of the chip.
100% agree on that. I'd never put AS on any of my chips, I use either AA or the generic white crap (which, for me at least, works better than AA so maybe I better stop calling it crap...) and they both come off much easier, and when they're gone there really isn't a stain left behind. So when I got hold of a used chip that had some form of AS residue on it I just casually began wiping it off. I wound up smearing a thin layer of it around that I still can't get rid of. I'm afraid to rub any harder as I'll probably have to gouge the core off just to get the AS residue. Fortunately for me it wasn't a hinderance, and hopefully won't be for anyone else in the same boat. If you've got just a thin stain/smear of it on the chip top it doesn't automatically mean everything'll get shorted out.

Back