• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ceramic Heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

I was watching this show on the TLC channel and it was about how they protect the aluminum on the space shuttles after re-entry into the earths atmosphere. They use FCC on the wings but ( i think its FiberCarbonCarbon) anyways thats not the point, they use these individual ceramic tiles and they showed how well these tyles disapate the HEAT, they heated it up to like 2500° and took it out of the oven placed it on the table and immediently picked it up i was shocked, but they said it disapates heat so well the cube can be picked up almost instantly after taking it out of the oven.

My question is do we have CERAMIC heatsinks...if not why dont we..my guess was we prolly dont have them because its to heavy...:confused:.. but does anyone know any other reason..
I guess expense as well but if it works that well would not be able to disapate the heat of a processor easily with a fan blowing over it?

( i tried seach but its down :p )

~Zoltan

I read this and thought, "Wow! That sounds like great heat dissipation! I wonder why they haven't made heatsinks that are at least coated with that ceramic." Then I did some research and realized that the ceramic is on the space shuttle for the purpose of insulation and dissipation. Further research shows that it's designed to reflect a lot of radiated heat (though I didn't find anything about its contact heat absorption), and it doesn't hold nearly as much heat as aluminum or copper.

A while back someone had a "free samples" post in the cyber deals forum from a company that made thermal tape and the like. I could choose 4 types of samples so for one I picked a ceramic heatsink, I figured what the hell. It is a flat square piece of ceramic with thermal tape on the bottom about 3-4mm thick. The size is almost perfect for a sb chip so on my next board I was going to give it a try since if it doesn't work I won't really damage anything. I am also curious about how it will work.

Ceramic is a VERY bad conductor. They could pick it up because, even though it was still 2500degrees, it is such a good insulator that only enough heat left it to fell warm on your hand. You can touch ceramic that is so hot its bright red and it will feel only warm on your hand.

The Shuttle tiles are 90% air. Air is a very good insulator. I saw a clip on TV one time, where they took the tile out of the oven like Lord_Zoltan described and the thing was glowing red hot! True the edges were cool enough to pick it up, but the middle was still pretty toasty. You'd roast a CPU in seconds with that stuff.

EDIT: Yuriman beat me to it!

I've also seen a demo with someone holding a cutting tourch under a pretty thing piece of ceramic (less that 1/2" think) and had people put their hands on the other side. Didn't get hot after the 15 or 20 min he left the tourch on it.

If only CPU's ran COLD and we had to heat them to make them work properly.

I'm a noob to oc'ing, but what I dont understand is why people dont just throw their comps in like freezers or something. Wouldn't you be able to theoretically overclock like all hell if you put the cpu into your refridgerator?

Just like 2 hot is bad for a cpu, Too cold is just as bad.

I would love to explain but i have to go, if no one exlpains this i will later on.

CHEERs :D

It becomes a question of how much heat can the refrigerator handle. People have talked about using bar fridges as mini coolers but when it gets looked into deeper it becomes clear that mini bar fridges can't handle the heat a modern CPU produces. And if you're going to pay big bucks for a large, full-sized heavy-duty refrigerator you might as well just take the money and put together a water+pelt system or buy a pre-made setup. At least then you wouldn't have a huge 20+ cubic foot monstrosity to deal with.

It is phase change, im not sure on the specifics, but I believe it can take just about any processor well into the negatives.

Several posts in this thread have been deleted. Lets try to stay on topic and have some respect for other people's losses.

Hmmm Where I work has a walk in fridge and freezer... I'm sure I could slip a comp in there and noone would know... Then 2.3v on air... hehe.

Back