• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ir0nman

I am switching from my A7N8X deluxe to my new NF7-S 2.0, and just wanted to know if there was any real evidence that disabling APIC helps overclocks.. I tried the search function but it isn't working right now. Probably going to reinstall tonight or tomorrow so quick advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ir0nman

seems to be different for everyone. some people refuse to think it has any effect or think it actually helps them with the oc because of better handling of irq's (i find it hard to believe) while others had problems. i for one had problems, until i disabled it while doing a clean install of win xp.
you'll have to take whatever anyone says with a grain of salt and chances are you'll find out the hard way if it will be a problem for you. :)

Everyone seems to get differing results on this. A thing to watch though is to make sure disabling apic does not cause other system performance problems due to irq conflicts. You may gain some fsb and lose performance overall.

yeah the apic setting for people here with nf7 boards is kinda like hit or miss just like buying a proc that will oc well . or as forest gump would say " life is like a box o chocolates , you never know what your gonna get "

What I've understood is that by disabling apic you might be able to raise the fsb a couple of notches, but people at the top of the orb are having better 3dmark results with it enabled. I disable it because my soundcard does'nt really like it, but I have'nt noticed any big diferances.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I am on my friends computer, the poly top to my gemini cracked, so I am waiting for a friend to drop off his spare Gemini until he can make me a copper top for mine... Thanks guys, I was figuring something like this for answers...lol. well I had no problems with it on on my Asus board, and I havea crap load of devices, so I think I will try with it on. Thaks for the imput guys

Ir0nman

The more devices you have, the more important apic becomes. It allows diferant devices to share the same resources, and if you have lot's of gear you will need that. When I install apic I disable apic I also disable extra com ports, printer ports ect. just to save a couple of irq's... (can be a hassle)

well I didn't disable Apic, and went straight to a 434 mhz FSB 633 cas 3 timings, so I seem ok so far
Ir0nman

APIC does seem to increase performance. I don't have any benchmarks to prove it, just experience playing with having it enabled and disabled and testing it's effects on various things.

Back