• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatspreaders on RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NOPE........... forgot where the thread was but they have no difference between the chips w/o headspreaders.

Actually they can hinder performance................ Not as much air flowing across the ram and the sticky tape CAN sometimes insulate more than conduct

depends how much voltage you are using........for anything under 3.0 volts, I wouldn't bother. For anything over, I would get them.

slater3333uk said:

That thread really proves nothing, If your case has proper airflow you probably dont need them. But its also important to have proper airflow if you use them as well. I have not read anywhere that 3m thermal tape acts as an insulator if you have decent airflow.

Bottom line is until MIT or someone with the labratory can test this Theory of they dont do anything, I will continue to use them.

Also I find it funny people knock on them due to cost, That thread implies they cost $20, fact is these people don't know how to shop smartly.

I just bought two Copper Heatspreader last week for $5.50 ea shipped, and I could have purchased aluminum ones probably for half that.

So to each his own, if you want to try them do it, if not don't.

But remember be a smart shopper

OH yah if you need BGA ramsinks get them here, 8 for $5.45 shipped

People will tell you they are worthless too, but I bet a few of them secretly bought them after I posted this deal. :rolleyes: :p :cool: :D

So, there I was: computing away all by my lonesome. MoBo in case, PS running, and RAM just sitting in there somewhere.
WELL, what comes along? FREAKING RamBus RDRAM, that's what freaking what!
OOOOooooohhhh, sooooo pretty! :cool: With it's schmancy-fancy blue anodized ... um something. Is that the RAM? I thought they destroyed that thing at the end of the last Terminator movie!
Those crafty machines just keep traveling back in time until they're satisfied.

well... me so humble; me lamer with chunky, black stuff. :rolleyes:

............................. the shame

What's this?!?! :eek:
I can facelift my RAM to be just as pretty!

... stuff happens ...

and here we are.

I just ordered those BGA ramsinks. But back on topic, ramsinks on a non-excessively overclocked stick of ram seem like nothing more then eyecandy. I've used ram with and without them and I never noticed any difference.

Save the money and buy better ram.

It appears to me that pc2100 RAM gets hotter than pc3200 RAM.
At least that's what I've observed from the RAM in my signature.

The 512mb Kingston pc2100 stick gets quite hot where the
512mb TwinMOS pc3200 deos not. This seems to be the same
at stock speeds and while OCing.

Back