• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White pads with Thermalright SK-7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brennan77

What are they for? They aren't mentioned in any instructions I've read. MY heatsink is mounted and everything is running well without them. What's the deal? So I need em?

i thought you put them over the four little "holes" on the base of the heatsink...

They're meant to protect the core from chipping or cracking. Normally the black ones at the corners of the CPU do this, but since the base of an SK/SLK* is narrow and rectangular (instead of big and square), it doesn't touch the standard pads. You're supposed to stick the white pads onto the bottom of the heatsink so that these will touch the CPU and stabilize it during installation/removal.

*EDIT: I'm wrong here, only SLKs have the narrow base.

Last edited:
Well consider yourself lucky...I have a SLK-800 on my new box and it sucks...Floppin in the breeze even with the pads...Temps over 40C with 80m/m Y.S. Tech fan running WFO...My SK-6+ with the Thermalright TMD fan adapter and TMD fan works better...Temps at 38C...Mounted, remounted...AS III, Cermanique, even tried the stuff that comes with the SLK-800...:(

That's weird hookem, as I have the same mobo as you and I have the 800U which I think is basically a similar copper piece but has a totally different mounting (the 900U version) which works very well.

Well in the instructions for the SLK-800 I bought it states that the long slender pads are for mounting a TMD fan on the SLK-800...It is mounted on a Soltek SL-75MRNL with a 2500 Barton in a Sonata case, ATI 9700 Pro and a gig of Buffalo ram...Really getting agro about getting the temps down on this box and calling Thermalright is like spitting into the wind...Here I thought I was buying a killer heat sink for my new machine and even a Vantec Aero Flow kicks it in the teeth...:mad:...I bet a 10.00 dollar Coolermaster X-Dream with give me better temps...:rolleyes:...I used to pads to stablize the heat sink...Talk about singing in the rain...Has turned into Floppin in the Breeze...:)

Last edited:
My SK-7 has been on & off at least 20 times and I've
never used those little pads. No problem whatsoever.

And the square base plate is more than big
enough to cover the whole chip. :)
By the way... as far as I can tell the SK-6+ base appears
to be the exact same part as the SK-7.
From there up it's all different of course. ;)

Back