• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ravsitar

I've just about finalized that parts for my new computer and some of them are on the way. About the last thing to decide on is the heatsink. I'm not looking for an extreme overclock. I'll just push it to what I can and leave it. Silent is GOOD. Loud is BAD. No modding of heatsinks either (changing fans and lapping are ok though). I'd also like a few suggestions for replacing the case fans if you think they will be overly loud.

Here's the System:

Lian-Li PC-60
Pentium 4 Northwood @ 3.0GHz
Antec TRUE430
16x DVD ROM
42x Plextor CDR
Abit IC7-G Max2 (Possibly the Max 3)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
120GB SATA Westerndigital
Soundblaster Audigy 2
WinXP
1GB DDR Ram to be determined (I'll have a thread for suggestions in the Memory section in a minute)

Advise away.

As for your case fans, papst and panaflo are the way to go. I have two 120mm papst in my case and you can't even really hear them. They are great.

ZaP37 said:

Either this Zalman or an SLK-900U w/quiet fan and your CPU will stay cool, silently.

^^^ and the panaflow fans. If you can use 92/120mm fans get some vantec stealths. don't get 80mm ones though, they don't push any air.

if u use Artic Silzer as thermal stuff, make sure u dont get it on mobo. it's silver and conducts current, and possible short the mobo
For the millionth time, Arctic Silver does not conduct electricity! It is "slightly capacitive," meaning if you get a sufficient amount (read: glob) across frequency sensitive leads it could screw things up. Just make sure you clean up anything you spill with an isopropanol solution and you'll be fine.

I have both the Zalman CNPS7000Cu and the SLK-900U . They cool very close to the same using a 92mm fan. With the 92mm fan you will get much better cfm and much lower db.

The 7000CU comes with a 92mm fan and is speed adjustable, however I do not use this feature. For overclocking it is better to let the fan speed stay at it's peek speed.

The SLK900U is my personal choice of the two. I use a Panflo 92mm high output with this one that gets me 57cfm with very low noice level.

There is a cheaper solution with using the CNPS7000 ALCU but it is aluminum based and I prefer the copper base of the CU.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with the Zalman CNPS7000Cu. It's a little expensive but from all the reivews it seems to work great and is very quite.

Back