• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead P4C800-E after OC'in Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Code 4

SORRY THIS IS A LONG ONE
I would like opinions on what the hell happened yesterday when I fried my fairly new P4C800-E. Check sig for details. I have been running it here w/o problems for a couple weeks. Here is the deal. I get a new Zalman Heat pipe for my vid card. I attributed artifact I was getting when soft overclocking to heat. I was using the new Omega Drivers w/ their clock gen utility. Anyway, I was running it w/o the zalman heat sink @ 300 core X 590 ram for the last week without incident and anything above let to artifact. AGP voltage in bios was 1.6V (where I have had this card since I got it 6 months ago). Ok so I put the Zalman on. It goes on fine. I put the card in, run 3dmark and feel for heat on both sides (like the manual says), everything looked good. So I start overclocking. I got to 305x600 no prob in BF1942 and 3dMark. Here is where it gets good. I try 310x600 starts out running fine. I go to take a leak and when I come back downstairs PC is off, it smells like Fried plastic and stuff. Ok Damage assesment: board is done- light comes on but will not POST at all (tried pci vid etc...), card done black burnmarks on the rear connections of the card where it sits in AGP slot. I tested all other hardware and it is working fine. So my losses are not to bad.

?'s: What the hell happened? Could I have damaged the AGP connections on the card when I put the Zalman On? Was it the Overclock that did it in? Did I not put the zalman on right? <---I think I got it on their fine and the burn damage occured way away from the cards memory and vpu. Would VPU or memory heat lead to this ending?

Again sorry for this long drawn out thread. Thrown any ideas my way If you are still awake

Could it have been a possible hardware conflict in combination with OCing your vidcard?! The 9500pro is essentially a 9700 and there are known (power) problems with early revisions of the 9700(pro)...

Lancelot said:
Could it have been a possible hardware conflict in combination with OCing your vidcard?! The 9500pro is essentially a 9700 and there are known (power) problems with early revisions of the 9700(pro)...

Not sure if that is it or not. I am leaning towards the Zalman not making good connection with the VPU leading to overheat leading to the BURN

Back