• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jesus H Christ, those are some hot mosfets.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
Ok, If you plan on running a vcore around 1.9v+ on a nforce 2, I'd seriously recommend mosfet sinks. I finally got around to putting them on my nf7-s... and to test them out, cranked it up to 220x11 and 2.03v vcore. Ran prime about 15 minutes, then kicked up 3dmark 2k3, ran the first two tests and shut it down.

I touched the heatsinks, and they were HOT. I mean hot as Hades. Every bit as hot as the mosfets themselves got when they weren't sinked. This is with aluminum lapped to 600grit 1/4"x5/8"x3/4" sinks on each one, and two 205CFM 12v fans @ 5v blowing straight down on my motherboard (dunno what they push, maybe 75CFM each.) I was shocked. I'm gonna mount a 50 or 60mm fan right over them to get more forceful airflow (I'd imagine it loses alot of kick crossing 7 inches to get to them.) and see if that helps. I'm also going to mount Heatsinks on the chips I THINK are my PLL chips... although they weren't too hot, they were warm, and I didn't run my comp for very long, so they might not have had time to heat up.

Ya I know what you mean. I am almost done making a large heatsink for them out of an old volcano 5. How did you attach them to the heatsink? I am going to use some arctic silver adheasive. What are PLL chips?

My Mosfets were hotter than pretty much any component in my system before I put some massive heatsinks on them. From what I have seen, the bigger the better. Obviously surface area isn't going to be easy to find because they are so small, so go for height. I found an old copper heatsink from some electronic test gear that was about 3" tall. Cut it up, mounted with AS3 epoxy and they are hardly warm to the touch. I made sure LOTS of airflow was hitting the sinks, and aimed them sort of diagonally... so that each fin gets ample airflow.

My mofsets are very warm as well. I am going to chop up a stock athlon heatsink and make some sinks for them.

star882 said:
"PLL= Clock Generator chip if I am not mistaken"
PLL = Phase Locked Loop

Also, I have an old Pentium 1 motherboard that has heatsinks on the MOSFETs, which get very hot, and I have seen a Britney motherboard where the MOSFETs get only warm without heatsinks!
The Pentium 1 Vcore regulator probably had to handle about 10w, and the Britney Vcore regulator had to handle 110w(11 times the power and much less heat!).
It's simply amazing how power supply technology improved over the years.

AHHH!... would u stop w/ the britney thing.. or show us all what the crap you are talking a/b?

These work nice on the mosfets:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...name=CTLG_011_002_008_000&product_id=276-1368

One for each.

276-1368.jpg

I put a few of these on.
HSGRS.jpg

They are from bestbyte.net. $4.00 for 4. I had to cut 2 in half to fit between those capacitors or whatever.

mata2974 said:
This has been my solution, heatsinks and a fan blowing over them, works well

Mosfet_007.jpg
They look almost identical to the P1 sink chunks I've got sitting on my mosfets!

I second the radioshack ones. Theyre cheap and you dont have to worry about shipping doubling the price.

On fans they do. 20$ for a freaking 80mm fan with crappy stats.

And yeah, those flowers wouldn't fit on at least three of the mosfets I don't think.

Hopefully mounting a 92mm fan (seems to push ~40CFM or so) on my backpanel bracket (fs-020 has room to screw 2 corners of the fan there) will give me the airflow needed to cool these muthas down. The two chips nearby the mosfets aren't really hot still, but I'm gonna sink them anyway. Better safe than sorry.... and I used as3 adhesive. I'd recommend a nonconduvtive adhesive though... as attaching my northbridge sink (a second time... after I'd lapped the bridge), I spilled a little by being careless and had to meticulously clean it up.

Why are you guys worried about hot mosfets? Have you really noticed any extra overclock after putting heat sinks on them?

Why bother?

Mosfets are right next to caps... caps are known to explode when heated too much. And cooling my mosfets should (I haven't tested it yet) improve my stability, as I believe they are severely overheating which is why Prime fails at 2420 2.06v but am stable at 2420 1.9v, my cpu temp is sub 55*C (Autoshutdown is set there).

Do you think this p4 hs will be enough for all the mosfets chopped up?
LINK
Cyber Deals

I'm wondering if 1 would be enough, though two doesn't seem too bad a price. Plus you get a fan or two, though I don't know how loud it is at 4300RPM.

cherryp00t said:
1 Heatsink
1 Cooler Master IAC-002 Socket 478
Thermal Compound: NO THERMAL COMPOUND 1.29
Subtotal: 1.29
Shipping: 4.25
Tax: 0.00
Total: 5.54

2 Heatsinks
2 Cooler Master IAC-002 Socket 478
Thermal Compound: NO THERMAL COMPOUND 2.58
Subtotal: 2.58
Shipping: 5.46
Total: 8.04

10 Heatsinks
10 Cooler Master IAC-002 Socket 478
Thermal Compound: NO THERMAL COMPOUND 12.90
Subtotal: 12.90
Shipping: 8.23
Total: 21.13

thats not bad wow ;x oxide has decent shipping now =d tehse would make pretty good mosfets heatsinks when you cut it up =d and you have a extra fan too

Back