• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lap your Northbridge/GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slater3333uk

In the last few months have seen several threads on lapping your GPU and Northbridge chip so as I had my system apart I decided to give it a go.

Im not going to write a How-to because you can find a gr8 one here

My northbridge temps have been bothering me all summer as they were rising as high as 45C! and thats high! With that in mind i decided that it was time to do something about it. My bord is a GA-7vaxp with a kt400 chip and looked pretty much the same as the one in the review with the center of the chip making no contact with the hsink at all!

I though it was one of the most wothwhile mods i have ever done. It took aproximatly 1 hour and lowerd my northbridge temp from around 41C down to as low as 33C. It looks risky and that had put me off doing it in the past but i had no problems and i cant relly see that anyone with a little experiance with lapping could get it wrong. It was as easy as lapping a hsink.

But thats enough talk lets see some pics!

lappingg.JPG

lappppping.JPG

Last edited:
how did you measure the northbridge temp? looks like i might do this now....

Yup I will deffinently do this to both nb and sb(was planning) One question. For the anti-static bag do you just cut up one that a computer part came in or is there some easy safe alternitive (like saran wrap :D :D)

Attualy i didnt bother with the antistatic bags i just used a normal ones

but

Just to be safe you should relly use a few old anti static bags like the ones that computer parts come in

slater3333uk said:
I mesured it through motherboard monitor

how...? mbm5? sorry, but i don't really know a thing about the mobo physcially. How can i find out if my 8KNXP has a motherboard sensor there?

Well im 99% sure the system temp on my gigabyte board is taken directly from the northbridge so all i do is configure mbm5 to show the sytem temp in the normal way

i dont know a thing about your board so if you want to find out weather your bord has a sensor for the northbridge then you could try asking in the epox mobo forum

all i did is set up mbm5 so you can see all your temps then unplug the fan on my northbridge and see which temp changes (i dunno if your bord has a fan tho)

an 8KNXP is a gigabyte... and one of my temps reads 25C... can that be the northbridge?

I am not sure which sensor is which reading...

Eh... system temps.. being NB temps?! are you sure, ive never once heard of that. do you have any links to info that would make you believe such a thing? i'd love to read up on it.

stan03 said:
an 8KNXP is a gigabyte... and one of my temps reads 25C... can that be the northbridge?

I am not sure which sensor is which reading...

Oh yeh soz i woz tired thought it was a amd epox bord :beer:

25c sounds about right i find its normaly the lowest reading that is the system temp but like i said before the only way to find out for sure is to change the cooling and see if the tempreture changes

Blz - like i said im 99% sure. I mean where else would i be getting a 41c temp from and then when i mod my nb cooling it drops to 33c. Its not the psu is it!

Back