• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steele1743

Registered
Using the stock HS/fan I was getting 140 -145 F while the pc was in BIOS. Upgraded to a SLK800U and a Smart Fan 2 and now it idles at 100-106 F. Is this a "normal" temp? I'm not sure, given there is no extra cooling (besides power fan and one case fan) in the case if I should try to get it lower.

I'd say thats just fine, any temps below or around 40C is what I consider to be good for an o/c machine and your right there.

What setting are you using for the sf2? If by sensor try removing that and just using the rheostat and checking what your temps differ at the different fan speeds.

Also you might try making sure you have good airflow in the case keeping good room temp air going through the case. Maybe try changing the current casefan or adding some.

Im not using the sensor, just running at full blast
LOL!!
And this is gonna be a real stupid one, but then again, I've never done this B4...Its the fan supposed to be positioned on the HS so it blows air ON the CPU or pulls it AWAY??? I read somewhere in here, its supposed to be blowing on it and I tried it both ways and get lower temps by a few degrees having it face TOWARD the CPU...since its clipped on its no big deal to reverse it :D

Yes blowing to the CPU is the proper way. Try using the rheostat anyway unless the noise doesn't bother you. I know those fans are loud because I used one for a while before I went to water and it does have a loud howl. :)

OMG is it loud...its like a 747 in my little computer area, but I work in a auto shop with Air wrenches so the noise is relatively quiet in comparison :D

Back