• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk-800, and which fan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

Now, before everybody sits there and thinks "OMG, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" just listen for a second.....

everybody generally accpepts that the best overall fan is the smartfanII, due to it's maximum speed and its adjustablilty. Id like to ask you though, is it the best fan for the price?

The answer, is no. today i was looking around for a smartfanII - couldnt find any in the local shops, but what i did find, was a CoolerMaster X-Dream. Rated as one of the absolute best you can get for its price, i was down right shocked when i saw it's price - £12.93!!!.

£12.93 is absolutly cracking vaule for a heatsink and fan of that caliber, which suddenly made me stop and think......around £9.99 for a SmartFanII, or £12.93 for a Coolermaster X-dream with a fan of EXACTLY THE SAME SPECS (im positive they are the same fan), with the added bous of a much sturdier speed controller.......

Needlees to say i brought the X-Dream. I took it home and whipped the fan straight off. I now have that fan sitting on my SLK-800, and also now have a X-Dream h/s ready for my applebird system i will soon build for just £2 . PERFECT.

If you want to know what the best overall fan is, then look no further than the X-DREAM HSF.

i have a thing against anything with the word "cool" in it. Its a phobia i think.

*twitches*

thats a very good point, and i never thought of that. oh well congrats for figuring(sp?) that out. Now everytime someone posts that question you got the answer :D

You make a good point, i too have my suspisions that the x-dream is just a Volcano 9 in a differant colour! and if you look hard enough you will find it for less than £12 it used to be on ebuyer for £7 but i think they discontinued it :(

The only downside is that the x-dream hsink is bad! so you relly just buying it for the fan which you can buy for £10 anyway so if it costs £13 im not convinced that its that good a deal

the x-dream h/s is anything but bad lol. and i can tell you now it is nothing like the v9.

http://overclockersclub.com/reviews/xdreamheatinkreview3.php
only beaten by the swifty mxc-462-u w/ a tornado by 2c. good enough for £3 i think:)
As with every product we review, there are ups and downs of the item. Though it may have lacked a bit in the "performance" testing, the price/performance for the X-Dream can't be beat - The $20.00 X-Dream was only beaten by the $47.00 MCX462 by 2 - 4°C, and that doesn't even include the price for a fan to use with the MCX. The clip is a wonderful feature, as I mentioned before

Humm yes ive seen that review before. Thats part of the reason why i brought one but it definatly didnt perform that well. I havent attualy had a chance to compare it to my v9 but it looks almost identical, in design anyway.

Dont get me wrong I totaly agree its a very good cooler for the price you have to pay

It may be a good buy, but saying that the X-Dream's fan spec is "exactly" the same as a Smart Fan II is going a bit far. Each have a maximum rpm of 4800, but the Smart Fan II pushes 75 CFM, and the X-Dream 63. The Smart Fan II also adjusts down to 1300 RPM, and the X-Dream 2500 RPM at its lowest. IMHO, there are many many more fans that are worth a look, depending on one's needs. The Smart Fan II provides the best compromise, but there may be better, quieter choices.

Gautam said:
It may be a good buy, but saying that the X-Dream's fan spec is "exactly" the same as a Smart Fan II is going a bit far. Each have a maximum rpm of 4800, but the Smart Fan II pushes 75 CFM, and the X-Dream 63. The Smart Fan II also adjusts down to 1300 RPM, and the X-Dream 2500 RPM at its lowest. IMHO, there are many many more fans that are worth a look, depending on one's needs. The Smart Fan II provides the best compromise, but there may be better, quieter choices.

i dont believe there are very different at all. it is true that this fan stops at 2500rpm - but that isnt nessaserily anything to do with the fan itself - it could well be the controller. as for its rated max, i dont really take much notice of that. one manufacturers rating can be totally different to the next. For instance, thermaltake state that their SFII runs at 48db @ 4800rpm. we all know its louder than that;) One thing I do know that is that it pushes a fair amount of air, however.

i dont know for sure if they are the same (yet), but they do look very similar, and if it can keep my cpu at 33c idle, instead of the 45c it was before @ 2.38ghz, then i know its pushing some air lol

Last edited:
Actually, my Smart Fan II only adjusts down to 2400 rpm with my external controller. The rated 1300 rpm is achieved by the Smart Fan only with its internal controller.

Back