• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Right now im getting kind of tired of the noise of my pc. Its on 24/7 right next to my head when I sleep and have no room to move it anywhere else.
I been thinking and I reacon that I might be able to run it without any cooling but the fan on the power supply.

current situation:
2x intake fans on low speed
2x enermax power supply fans on low
1 out take fan on 7v
1 80mm on cpu at 12v
1 northbridge fan 12v
1 60mm fan on gpu at 5v

Thats 8 fans!!!

my new idea.
disconnect and remove all fans. only have enermax power supply fans operating.
clock cpu down to stock 2.4mhz or less at lowest possible voltage.
clock gpu back to stock speed leaving large cpu heatsink on there without fan.
clock up all memorys to fastest speed setting.

You would probably still need to run a fan on the processor, but you should be able to use it at a lower voltage at least.

ok just rebooted trying to find lowest voltage for cpu, i writing this while running prime95 at 1.30v (1.28v actual). If I can get down to 1.2v I might not need any fan. hmmm

gpu might be a problem, since 9700 is always hot, hope i dont burn it.

wont work, im certain. even my amd xp at 1.2v runing at 1400mhz needed a fan. not a strong one, but without it it steadily rose to >60c at load. putting a slow case fan on the sink dropped the temps right down to 27c full-load - same as my ambient temp.

Yes, you will always need some means of removing the heat from the heatsink. With water cooling, though, I've found that 100% passive can be possible for a few hours at very low voltages.

damm :( I just hit 1.15v (1.12v - 1.14v actual). If I get any lower maybe? or maybe I cannot go without a fan like you said.

I think I might be able to do this. The gpu might be the problem.

Last edited:
BAH, just replace your fans with some panaflows or vantec stealth fans.. OR HERES AND IDEA! when your sleeping, turn your computer off. =)

You were right! it did get up to 62c in about 10 mintues.

The gpu just about melted down, burn my finger, crazy artifacts on screen.

4 harddrives were far from silent, even being seagates.

I guess that I have 12 moving things in me pc and at that the noise level is not to bad compared with some basic comsumer computers.

Kind of crap that anything above 3.1ghz causes random lockups/reboots when I can undervolt so good at 2.4ghz.
These P4's are so damm senitive to extreme heat at high mhz.

UPDATE EDIT: just realise something, when i rebooted before my gpu was running at its overclocked speed during UT2003 test. But I still dont think it would of made much of a difference to heat at stock gpu speed

Last edited:
I'm running a passive water system right now, no fans on the radiator (still case fans though :() Stable and much quieter than the loud fans i had.

Last edited:
My water cooling is nearly dead silent, Only thing I really here in my system is the hard drives.... its the best way's I;ve found to have a quiet system and still run it at its max.

you will need some fannage on your gpu.

My geforce 3 ti 200 without a fan and with a stock AMD heatsink, it overheated in less than 2 minutes playing GTA3.

And your 9700 makes more heat than my geforce 3 did.

Folding is helping Stanford medical college understand proteins and how they fold and misfold inorder to help cure diseases. A computer like what is in your signature would be able to fold a Work Unit in about 10 - 14 hours depending on which WU you receive. Click the Fold link in my Signature to take you directly to stanford's site for more info. Also come over to the folding forum and we'll have you borging and farming for the fold in no time! :D

Back