• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer nurse, waterproof?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I bought my computer nurse thermal sensor probe for my computer but i was happy to find out that it comes with two thermal probes...

I dont exactly know where to put the second probe... but i was thinking of putting it somewhere inside my water loop to pick up water temperature (i have a weatercooled setup)

anyone know if these things are waterproof?

And if i did put it in my water loop, where? before or after radiator? before or after cpu?

my loop goes pump --> rad --> cpu --> res --> pump

Thanks!

I'd put it after the CPU, before it has a chance to go through the pump or rad. It'll give you the most accurate readings of how hot the water in the actual sink is.

Not exactly, I've gone very low tech to measure my water temp. I've got a t-line about 3 inches after the the block that I use to fill the system with a fill tup that's very short. The plug for the actual fill tube is a standard, store bought 1/2" ID brass barb with hot glue filled in the opening in the middle....

...and a cooking thermometer in the center of it. I cut the tube length so that the tip of the thermometer is just touching the bottom of the t-joint. So the water flow right around it on both sides. It may be low tech but it works. If I leave the pump on without the computer (haven't made a relay switch yet) the thermometer will show the slow, steady increase in water temp from the pump's heat. And if I run the system without having the pump on (same reason) the thermometer again shows the water temp increase because it's only 3 inches from the water in the block. Fortunately I've got a Switech MCW462 block, with that big chamber full of water in the sink forgetting to turn on the pump is not immediately terminal like it would be with blocks that have very little space for water in them (ones that use high pressure flow with lots of surface area in a small space).

One of my rigs has had a Compunurse probe in the reservoir (after the CPU) for over two and a half years. The thermistor is waterproof but the connection to the wire is not. The trick is to seal both sides of the heatshrink with silicone.

how would i do that?where would i get silicone? would hot glueing it work?

also please define "heatshrink?"

Heatshrink is the rubber-like material, usually black, red, or sometimes blue, that electrically insulates the solder points between the thermistor itself and the red and black wires. The heatshrink is the only thing that keeps the wires from shorting out on your case or heatsink. It is called heatshrink because it is a large diameter when it's slipped over the wires, then a heat gun is turned on it, which shrinks the material. Since the heatshrink isn't waterproof, you'll need to seal it. Silicone is the usual stuff used, but I imagine if you do a good job that hot glue will work. Only seal the end of the heatshrink - don't get any near the thermistor or it could mess up your readings.

blackjackel said:
how would i do that?where would i get silicone? would hot glueing it work?

also please define "heatshrink?"

My guess is that hot glue wouldn't work as well as something
specifically made as a sealant.

A good source for silicone is your local auto parts store.
Gasket Sealer. ;)

Look for something like this*
or this*

Or you can buy a tube of silicone caulk
from the hardware store too.

Good luck! ........... 'nnock :D

Back