• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raw Speed--> 1700 or 2500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

The subject pretty much tells all...

I've got the setup for a decent overclock, know how to go about it, but what's the deal with these two chips?

Back when I bought the chip I have now (Barton 2500+ @ 2.3ghz) it was a gamble, noone really knew which chip performed better (between the 1700+ and 2500+).

It's been several months since then, and I'm in the market for a new chip. The one I have now will go into a new computer, and I will likely stick the new chip into my own. What's the best chip as far as raw speed? I'm not into hardcore 3D gaming or the like, just want the fastest chip for the least amount of cash. Extra speed is worth the extra $ to an extent. Any recommendations?

TIA

Well from what people the say the extra cache of the 2500+ can make up 100 mhz of the 1700+. But in the end a well chosen 1700+ DLT3C B stepping will probably win the clock speed battle.

A well chosen 2500+ may be a little faster but certainly not worth twice the price.

I think that if you are looking for raw Mhz, the 1700 is your best shot. The 2500 can hit some good speeds, and the extra cache helps, but the 1700 will clock higher most of the time (assuming you could get a good stepping and such). I think that excaliberpc is still selling the DLT3C JIUHB0310XPMW, which is a good stepping, but I could be wrong, and they may be out of them. Hope you find what you are looking for. ;)

Back