• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700 and what motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

Hey,

I am building a new rig, with a 1700 cpu, but can anyone reccomend a good motherboard to go with? obviously looking to overclock.

thanks

j

Abit NF7-S if you want to spend $ on the best overclocker.

Or NF7 if you want the same board without sound, etc.
8RDA+ is cheap + has onboard sound, Soltek nForce2s are solid inexpensive boards.

Call me an Epox fanboy if you must, but I have been highly impressed with their value for the last few years: cheap, reliable and extremely good overclockers. :)

I just got an 8RDA+ (Rev 2.0) a few weeks ago and it has a 1700 Pally running faster than any other board I have had the chip in. Including a heavily modified 8KHA+.

The Abit is about $111 USD and the Epox is about $79 USD. (Prices from NewEgg.)

Either would be a great board.

Caffinehog said:
A good board to be sure... but don't rule out other nforce2's or boards with the KT600 chipset.

I wouldn't get a KT600 board if overclocking is your goal. The lack of PCI lock really dampens fsb overclocking.

The 8RDA+(80$ from newegg) and AN35Ultra(77$ from newegg, but 65-70 elsewhere, I bought mine from newegg for 63$) are good boards for a cheap ocer.

But for the ulimate Athlon XPerience :rolleyes: get the NF7-S

funnyperson1 said:

I wouldn't get a KT600 board if overclocking is your goal. The lack of PCI lock really dampens fsb overclocking.

True, but by how much? It has a divisor of 6. If we assume that things start failing after 37mhz pci bus, that means you're stuck at 222fsb. It's darn expensive to get memory that works at 233fsb, and the timings suck. You'll probably be able to get 215fsb with brand name pc3200. (Not with crucial, though.)

Of course you would have trouble between 185fsb and 200, but the cpu is unlocked, so the most you would lose would be maybe 50mhz and a tiny bit of memory bandwidth.

I do agree with the assesment of which board is best, though. I just wonder if $$$ might be a driving factor.

im looking for something failry inexpensive, but that is still reliable etc!

im only gonna overclock a small bit as im not too advanced.

j

i said the same thing, sure we all did, then, once we started overclocking, it never ended, still hasn't ended

umm, i have an asus a7n8x deluxe 2.0, i was about to buy an abit nf7-s for the chipset voltage control and higher vcore, but i just got the 1005uber bios, and it has it all, so i'm stickin w/ asus, and let this be your first vote for the asus a7n8x deluxe 2.0

I say no to the A7N8X. While it CAN be a good overclocker, people who seriously overclock will have problems... it changes the voltage higher AFTER it starts to boot, so if you need high voltage to post, you're SOL.

Back