• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Vcore a limitation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marklar

Registered
I'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte ga-8knxp. I noticed that the max vcore setting is 1.6v, is this setting going to limit an overclock?

I've also heard that the bios readings for vcore are lower than actual values so will I be able to get higher vcore by setting at 1.6?

Is there a patch available to set higher values?

The limited 1.6v ( bios) option for the V-Core is my "ONLY" complaint with the GA-8KNXP!!!

If you have a good chip it wont be a huge issue.
Some users report 1.6 set in the bios reads 1.64/5v in windows. If i set 1.6v in the bios , this translates to 1.58v in windows...i am LUCKY as my CPU will post right up to 4Ghz @ 1.55v!!

I have e-mailed Gigabyte regarding a bios update with a higher V-core option ( as have MAY) others. No replies from them so far..

Apart from the v-core limit it is an awsome board...

I just found this from Anandtech's review of the GA-8KNXP Ultra.

DSC01625.JPG

I have no idea why they would put such big increments in. I don't think I'd dare jump from 1.6 to 1.68 but then I am a bit of a coward when it comes to overvolting.

Maybe they had a pre release board, or maybe it's unique to the ultra, it doesn't say.
Read review

Edit: I just read their 20 way motherboard shootout review and it is only on the Ultra version.

Are any of the other 875 or 865 Gigabyte boards any different?

The 875 and 865 boards are a little bit different. They have to be, its a different chipset. So the BIOS will be different too.

1.68 should be pretty safe, as long as the CPU is COOL. Like in woofers Vapochill. Voltage isnt bad, as long as the CPU is cool enough to handle it. But, high voltage on a HOT CPU is bad.

I wouldnt expect to see a BIOS update with a voltage increase from Gigabyte though. Hope this helps some. K1ll1nT1m3

Back