• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a slk-900u on a A7N8X-dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mystypiy

I am seriously considering getting a slk-900 but I am not sure whether to go with the a version or the u version. I would go with the u version definitely if I hadn't seen a motherboard compatability thing that said that when installing the u version on my mobo the capacitors would have to be severly bent. I don't even know what the capacitors are so I don't know if bending them would hurt anything or how hard it would be to bend them. Would installing this heatsink be really hard to do? Has anybody else done it? What would you guys suggest I do, just go with the a version or what? I am relatively new to this considering I just finished my first rig over the summer, but I have installed two different heatsinks on it (the first was the stock one and the second a Global WIN). The stock was horrible to put on and I don't want to repeat that, but the global win was fine. What do you guys think?

Bending the capacitors is generally not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. BTW the capacitors are the little cylinders that stick up off the surface of the motherboard. I'd post a pic, but I don't know where any are and I don't have hosting :(. If I were you, I'd just go with the A version, as I believe that you will not have to bend any pins with that one.
And...
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

So do you think the a version will be okay if I have to move my computer around? I am at college, and my rig is so coming home with me over Christmas break. I just don't want to bring it home and find that the cpu socket has been torn off. Do you think it will be okay? I don't know if I'll have room in my car to lay it on its side.... What do you think? Oh and thanks for the welcome. :)

I think the SLK heatsink clip will hold your Copper cooler on the socket no problemo - uses all three lugs and takes like 20 pounds of pressure to put it on.

Back