• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Newbe Mobo Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Fri

OK gang, I need some help. I'm going to OC for the first time and have found that my new rig won't do. I had bought a non-nF2 board (where I can't change the multiplier) and a 2000XP. The XP runs very hot (about 52deg at idle) so I've now bought one of the top rated 1800s. I now need to upgrade the mobo but want to keep the price under $80.

I was looking at the M7NCD that Newegg has on sale. It has 400MHz FSB and only costs $57. It looks like a great board to start OCing on but I don't want to make any stupid mistakes.

What's your thoughts?

(Yea, I know this should be a mobo post but I asked the question there twice and got no replys.)

No sound, etc best is Abit even in that price range
http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=181_220&products_id=867
but cheapest nForce2 with great sound etc. used to be 8RDA+ it's $79 here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=8rda+
Look into Soltek nForce2s as well.

Post the rest of your system specs.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

These forums are an excellent source of help, particularly with overclocking problems.

It follows that you should choose one of the more popular boards, whatever your choice, so you have a larger number of users to help you.

Nix the M7NCD. Pick a popular Abit or Epox or Asus board for broad user-base help.

Hope this helps!

I don't think a board like the M7NCD will have many useful overclocking options, or o/c as well as the better ones. You should probably go for an 8RDA+ or NF7 (preferrably NF7). They aren't too expensive nowadays, especially refurbs.

Biostar isn't a famous name in overclocking.

Back