• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volcano..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I am in need of some great air cooling for a great price.. the best (i think) i found for the money is the volcano 9 or volcano 11 heatsink/fan combo (Smartfan2).. Besides the very high noise level (48db?!?!) is this the top of the crop for the money? it claims over 75cfm, which is crazy, and comes with copper heatsink.. any info would be appreciated, including other companies offerings in the same pricerange/performance, if there are any. My computer is loud already, so I don't think that smartfan would be too loud, but you never know, i can't imagine how loud it is, i've heard some funny stuff from you guys.

stay away from any heatsink by thermaltake. They are well below par.

the Thermalright sk-7 and smartfanII combo seems to be the king of price Vs performance right now. I hear that svc.com has a good deal on sk-7's at the moment, though i dont know if they ship to canada

Thanx bud, i am looking for pricing right now.. Ok, it seems much more expensive then the Thermaltake.. I don't know if I can afford it, it is more expensive then the whole Volcano 11+ set that comes with temp control and fan and sink.. but I might have to invest anyway.

EDIT: btw, the smartfanII is by thermalright as well?

james.miller

how does the Thermalright sk-7 and smartfanII combo compare to like the Zalman cnps-7000 CU?

Thermaltake is all show and no go as far as I am concerned. As James said thermalright is the right way to go. SK-7 is superior price for performance. Then if you want to start spending more you have the slk-800 and slk-900 which offer even better cooling.

The smartfan is made by thermaltake, even if they dont know how to make a heatsink, they do pretty well making fans.

I can't seem to find any stores that sell the Thermaltake Smartfan2 by itself, it all comes bundled with one of their heatsinks, which you all say are not up to par.

james.miller said:
stay away from any heatsink by thermaltake. They are well below par.

the Thermalright sk-7 and smartfanII combo seems to be the king of price Vs performance right now. I hear that svc.com has a good deal on sk-7's at the moment, though i dont know if they ship to canada

Stay away from Thermaltakes besides the 7+ for older processors.

I like the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu teh best.

SK7 +SF2 is good, lapping may be required.

Thermaltake and DELL make me mad :mad:

Thermalright SK-7, SLK-800, and SLK-900 are prime
Delta 80mm, and Vantec tornado 80mm are prime

You got money? SLK-900u & Vantec Tornado 92?mm

You don't got money? SK-7 & Delta 80mm

The only thing I use from the volcano 9 I bought is the fan, the heatsink is junk.

Back