• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock FSB = lower temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChemMan

Registered
I just got my watercooled rig up and running and my 1600+ was running at 133*10.5=1397MHz with an idle temp of 41 C and a load temp of 44 C. I went into the bios and changed to 166*8.5=1411 and the idle temp dropped to 38 C and idle is now 42-43 C.:confused: Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one with a magic processor.:D

Doesn't sound right... shouldn't happen. Your room temps or other factors have probably changed. A CPU runs at one clock speed; that clock is simply the FSBxmulti.

Yeah, it doesn't sound right to me either.:rolleyes: I would suspect a change in room temp but it took all of 2 minutes to apply the changes in the bios, and I don't think the air temp fell 5 degrees in that time.:eek: WTH, I'm just happy that the temp went down.:clap:

Update! I set my FSB back down to 133 to make the processor speed 133*10.5=1397MHz and the idle temp went back up after a few minutes to 40 C. As soon as I saw this I went back into the bios and set the FSB back to 166 and the temp dropped 3 C to 37 C. I was wondering if there was some kind of electrical glitch somewhere, but as the temp went up slowly and then back down again rather quickly I suspect that the processor is really running cooler with a OC'ed FSB. :eek: LOL

Back