• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non computer damaging smoke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No thought here on the subject other than 1) Smoke, why!?!? and 2) I killed the other double post for you.

To observe airflow?

Any burning vegetable matter would be fine for the brief period this would take.

I'd avoid lighting a car tire on fire, and holding it near the intake.

Hope this helps. :D

AIRFLOW! :bang head I've done this in the past myself and yet I didn't think of it just then. When I did it I just used an extinguised candle but I was just testing one fan's ability to resist the negative backpressure in my case. It was all or nothing for that, I don't know if lighting and extinguishing candles alot would be worth the trouble for setting up a whole caseflow design.

This all assumes you are trying to test airflow with smoke.

Ok this was posted almost an hour ago and not a single pot head has made a suggestion yet. Shocking. I guess it IS saturday night after all ;)

I think most any smoke in small quantities would be alright. It is DIRTY air though so I wouldn't turn your case into a smoking lounge...

u can get small smoke cartridges that ppl you to test gas installations maby you could try them

Bensa said:
Incense, thick and lasting smoke.

Plus you get a nice smelling PC :D

I would say either dry ice in water (the "smoke" may not last long enough though) or if you can, get hold of a disco fog machine. The smoke isn't dangerous to you so I don't think it will be dangerous to your PC :)

In an isolated incidence, the type of smoke doesn't matter a whole lot, but I would stay away from anything moisture related (dry ice, fog machine... ummm then again, doesn't dry ice just give off CO2? Maybe it's okay). Just minimize the amount you use though.

Prolonged exposure to smoke can cause hardware failure which most often propagates in the movement mechanisms of CD drives. Smoker with a dead CD-ROM? Open 'er up, remove all the gum thats accumulated, and it'll likely work like new again if the motor didn't burn itself out trying to plow through the sludge.

I think that because Dry ice sublimes, rather than melting it should be ok to use (no moisture problems), its also thick enough to see good currents in your case. Just dont use it in an enclosed space it can displace the oxygen in the room leading to death ;)

You know, I've tried diong this before with incense smoke and had absolutely no luck. The second the smoke enters my intakes it dissapates so rapidly that it becomes invisible.

I had the idea of using a bunch of small toothpick sized sticks with a bit of brightly-colored thread or string on the end to watch airflow. Would be a lot safer, too :)

I've never tried it, but dry ice submerged in water to produce a thick fog might work. I doubt you'll have any condensation problems because the fog forms because of the colder temperature of the dry ice. As it passes through your case, everything it hits is warmer, so no moisture would stick. Just don't do it if you have extreme (e.g. non-air) cooling. :D

Fast420A said:
Quote removed for reason listed in orignating post.

eobard

Eww resin on the fans. ;) Always wondered if thats why your username is what it is.

I don't like using smoke in my computer. Smoke leaves ash and tar behind. I don't feel like taking apart my optical drives to scrape crap off the lens. Dry ice does not leave residure behind. Get a 5gal buck of warm water, cut a hole in the lid for a hose, drop some dry ice in ( a little at a time to get the flow you want) and pop the lid on the tub. The more dry ice or the warmer the water the faster the smoke will come.

Restorer said:
I've never tried it, but dry ice submerged in water to produce a thick fog might work. I doubt you'll have any condensation problems because the fog forms because of the colder temperature of the dry ice. As it passes through your case, everything it hits is warmer, so no moisture would stick. Just don't do it if you have extreme (e.g. non-air) cooling. :D

Good point restorer. No condensation will form because everything the cold smoke touches will be warmer than the air/smoke.

On the other side of the coin however, once the smoke is gone, if it chills any component enough that is close to the intake, it is possible that the component will be cooler than the room air enough that it will then form condensation. Altogether unlikely, but I wanted to note it because your post made me think of something I hadn't thought of previously.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :beer:

Yes and no on the user name.

It originated when I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse with the 420A engine in it and that was my user name on the car forums and it has been ever since. Edited for same reason listed above.

eobard

Plus since I pay for the domain www.fast420a.com I figure that's a user name for a while.

Sorry for not replying in forever... I forgot about this thread.

Anyways I wanted to know the answer to this question for two reasons: Case air flow, and the main reason is I was thinking about adding a switch on the front of my case that said "Turbo Mode" and "Regular"... ok I haven't put much thought into the label for "off". But anyways when you flip the switch smoke starts coming out of the computer and I want to do something w/ lighting that will look crazy. I just want to be able to flip the switch and then make the computer look like it's frying. I really dunno how I could switch smoke on and off thou.

I didn't wanna say my plan but lets face it, you can't help me if you dunno what I want to accomplish.

Back