• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

never oced an amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blunt

i will be getting my aunts computer on monday to do a few fixes to it and was gonna give her a few more mhz if i could very easy. it is a 2800+ amd chip in a hp computer is this overclockable and if so what can i do to it. it has crappy memory 512 mb of pc2700 so i know i can't go all out but like i said just a mild boost would be fine(seeing as how its not mine heh cause if it was its all or nothing) any help would be very much appriciated.(sp?)

Since it is an HP I doubt youll find many overclocking options. If anything there may be jumpers on the board to set multiplier or fsb from 133 to 166. HP probably castrated the bios so you can't do much.

i didn't see anything in the bios to change ram timings or anything of that sort

Well your only real chance would be to check what ASUS model it is and trying to flash the ASUS bios. But imho that is pretty darn risky.

What the hell is your aunt going to do that needs more than a 2800+? If you want to tinker buy your own computers, don't risk your families.

Rule of thumb... NEVER overclock family or family member's computers that's not meant to be OC'd in the 1st place.... This will not only bring you more problems with the owner, but tweaking HP's, Compaq's, Dell's and the likes, will cause more havoc than good. BTW, xp2800 is enough for Auntie's email and writing letters.

you could try a socket mod.....but I think the 2800+ is already near it's max so I would chill......is it a 2800+ barton or tbred?:D

RedDawg41 said:
Rule of thumb... NEVER overclock family or family member's computers that's not meant to be OC'd in the 1st place.... This will not only bring you more problems with the owner, but tweaking HP's, Compaq's, Dell's and the likes, will cause more havoc than good. BTW, xp2800 is enough for Auntie's email and writing letters.

I fully agree with this! is there a reason you wanted to oc it? or just for fun?

for fun mainly if its easy i might even put it back to normal before i get it back but being the way i am i like to tweak everything i get my hands on

Back