• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Efficent Fan Air Flow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howlingyeti

The method I'm planning to use to mount my new case fans (panflos!) is basicly gluing a countersunk machine screws against the side of my case in the appriorate spacing. This will create a 1/4 gap between my fan the whole that will be cut in the case for it to pull air through. My question is will this effect the performance of the fan? If this will it's a simple matter of countering sinking my fans to get them to fit flush. What are your guys ideas on this? Will the 1/4 gap kill performance?

howlingyeti said:
The method I'm planning to use to mount my new case fans (panflos!) is basicly gluing a countersunk machine screws against the side of my case in the appriorate spacing. This will create a 1/4 gap between my fan the whole that will be cut in the case for it to pull air through. My question is will this effect the performance of the fan? If this will it's a simple matter of countering sinking my fans to get them to fit flush. What are your guys ideas on this? Will the 1/4 gap kill performance?

Just curious, but why are you leaving a gap? No holes for the screws?

i have my fan in the front of my case (120mm ys tech) offset from the case about 3 inches to reduce noise...it was causing a whining noise when right up against the metal....after moving it out and even 7 volting it my temps on both cpu went down 3C. There was a LOT better airflow thru the case.

I'd use some thin grommets (little rubber pads) to shield the vibration - Use them on the inside and outside and you shouldn't have this problem.

I recall reading a case fan is more efficient when mounted half way in and half way outside the case; it allows the air to flow through it less obstructed by the case. I doubt it makes much difference though. However, there would be a more dramatic decrease in air flow efficiency when either side of the fan is obstructed, for example, by a duct.

I am using the following method to mount my fans (Bit-Tech Guide). I am doing this because I'd like to "stealth" the fans so to speak and cause I have obstructions on the outside of the case that can't be drilled through to run bolts.

Experiment.

Install the fans with gaps, observe temps.

Close gaps using electrical/duct tape, observe temps.

Compare. ;)

If the temps with tape are better, then you can either do a clean permanent tape job since it won't be visible inside the case, or fashion something else to close the gaps.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Back