• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to keep my cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A) Try to find a place to put the PSU!

B) Follow this simple guide to let your ATX PSU run without having to see a Motherboard there. This should be a necessary procedure for most modern PSUs now (I have an old one with a switch and runs without a mobo, but its quite old). You also shouldn't need to rig a switch, you can always use the switch on the back of the PSU. Its much more convenient with a SPDT switch, but ya know, it takes more time ;).

3) Hook up your accessories to it. I would make sure they weren't vital to your system (so I'd only plug in extra fans and CCs), otherwise you'll want to research a relay system.

Oh Hey...
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

What is wrong with your power supply now? 500w seems pretty good to me. I have a 350w 7 fans and 2 cold cathodes.

tried to bring down temps a little more hooked up pc toys tornado f5 when i did 12v dropped hard dr started to hang 5fans 2cc seemed to be to much

If you want to hook up 2 PSU's one of the best ways is to use a relay, that way when you switch on the PC both PSU's fire up rather than playing about getting each individual one to work.

I think to be honest the best thing to do would be to just get a decent quality PSU and use that single PSU to power it all. A decent antec or sparkle/fortron would handle the load with ease and would be less hastle than getting 2 PSu's hooked up and fitted to the case. Just out of curiocity what are the voltages like at full load with everything you want hooked up perticularly the +5 and +12 rails, and what PSU do you currently own and what are the rest of your system specs?

:)

I suggest taking a look at the stickies here. They're full of more than enough direct information and links to help figure out which way is best for your needst to run a dual PSU, how much power your various components are going to want to run properly and a whole lot more. And like Ffats said, Welcome to the forums!

Back