• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher-end System cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Ok im building a higher-end pc for a freind but I want to get some opinions about the system setup such as comments about if you think I need better cooling or known issues about the parts I'm selecting. I will be using an ANTEC SOHO File ServerTower ATX Case Model SX1040BII with 400 Watt Smart Power, Power Supply **Black**Performance 2 Series case LINK , a MSI K7N2 Delta-L (nforce2 chipset) motherboard LINK , 512MB CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64M x 64 PC-3200C2 With Heat Spreader RAM ,
an AMD ATHLON XP 2800+, a CoolJag AMD (Socket A) and Intel (Socket 370) Heatsink and fan Model JVC258A Retail to cool the processor
LINK (scroll down a little) , a 80GB Maxtor 8MB cache HD, CDRW +DVD drives, 2 80X80 VANTEC STEALTH SF8025L case fans LINK (scroll down a little) , soundblaster live 5.1 card, and a ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL graphics card (heh, odd I thought these things were more than $364 bucks?) LINK (scroll down a little) . Now I heard that the Radeon 9800 Pro's can generate alot of heat and seeing how much heat my past Athlon XPs have generated, I would asume this 2800+ is going to generate quite a bit too. Do you guys think my cooling methods will work with no problem? (cooljag HSF + 2 Vantec Stealth Vans in ANTEC SOHO case) This system will NOT be overclocked but it will be under stress from all the games he'll be playing on it all the time. I also dont want this pc to be loud either. Also do you think the 400 WATT power supply is enough for the system? It comes with the case and it would be REALLY nice if I could use it for the system instead of having to buy another. THANKS!!

Last edited:
I think that that setup will most likely work. The 400w Antec is definately enough. I would place one fan in the front bottom of the case blowing in, and the other right below the PSU blowing out.

Agreed.

2 Stealth fans arranged like Funk said will supply good fresh air and expel the rest. You shouldn't have any heat problems while running stock with this configuration.

The CoolJag also has a pretty lapped base, which is always a plus. Shouldn't have to apply much goop for that cooler :D.

alright thanks for the input guys! Do you think this system would be pretty quiet too? Seems that way as ive used those antec PSU's and Vantec Stealth fans b4 and they seemed to be pretty quiet ... havent used the HSF though.

With a 60mm fan on the heatsink there is going to be a higher pitched noise then a larger fan so that makes the sound more noticeable. You may want to go with an all copper heatsink and an 80mm or 92mm fan to keep it quieter.

Its true that the heatsink might be a little higher pitched, however I believe the rest of the fans will droun it out well... Not to say it will be loud, however in relation to the other fans, you'll be good.

According to frosty tech, the CoolJag is about the 11th quietest fan.

Is your friend into overclocking at all? If so you might want to go with a beefier power supply, (sparkle 530, antec 530/550) and save him/you money by getting a 9800 non-pro and overclocking that as well. I don't know much about AMD systems, (the only time I build them is when someone asks me to build them a $500 system) so I can't comment on the motherboard selection.

If it were my pc i'd be overclocking it but since its for my freind he doesnt want an oced system. He wants his pc fast but not loud at the same time. So far the cooljag seems like the hsf to go with unless someone knows of a quieter hsf that can cool the proc that they have on newegg or googlegear.

Last edited:
I agree with funkdamonk, an sk-6 or 7 with a quiet 80mm fan. 60mm fans spin faster to provide adequate cfm and are louder than a comparable (cfm) 80mm fan.

I don't understand why anyone wanting a quiet case buys a tower with all these 80mm fans in it. You should get a case with 120mm fans. It will be much quieter and provide great air flow and if you 7v the fans it will be super quiet.

I have an Antec 3700 with 3 120mm fans all volted down and tons of air moves through with respectable sound. Also cut the fan grills out of the antec cases those little mesh holes block air and cause noise.

Good luck

hhmm ill take a look into the case thing.. maybe ill just limit the fans and mess around till I find something comfortable for him. Thanks guys!!

Back