• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan cfm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

What is the norm for cfm output for normal no-name computer store fans (80mm), you know, the black ones that all look the same.. got 5 of them, just wanna know if they suck so bad that 2 good 80mm would do better?? or not?? also, any advantage of a 120mm fan in the front (thats where i have space, instead of my 80mm)?? or would that screw up airflow?

Not really sure on the CFMs of those fans you are talking about but IMHO nothing beats 120mm fans. It won't do anything but help your airflow to have a 120mm on the intake. 120s push much more air for the amount of noise they create.

You could always put the model number of the fans (found right on the label) into Google and see what turns up. The case fans that came with my Lian Li case push about 26 CFM each at 23 dB.

Yeh, 20 - 25cfm would be about right for most budget 80's.
A better 80 will push more but noise will also start to increase also.

Go 120 if you can.

Thanx.. yeah, i've noticed that 1 of my out-fans hardly pushes any air, but the other pushes a helluva lot, but they are both no-names, and both seem to be spinning very fast.. oh well

Trypt said:
Thanx.. yeah, i've noticed that 1 of my out-fans hardly pushes any air, but the other pushes a helluva lot, but they are both no-names, and both seem to be spinning very fast.. oh well
That could be a result of negative case pressure. If the back pressure is strong enough it could resist the pull of the weaker fan. Maybe switching them would give them both some good output, or you could relocate the weak one to a place where it can make use of the existing caseflow created by the overall fan/case setup to help negate the backpressure.

Like Restorer said, look at the model numbers that are on the sticker on the fan hub , and enter those into google - works everytime. :)

Look at the mA that the fan draws as well. Low mA (anything fromsay .8 to .14) generally indicate that the fan will have a lower speed as they are drawng less power and thus are quieter. I do say generally so if someone wants to elaborate then feel free :)

Back