• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows98 make amd processors slower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogeto

Registered
Hi
I have a tbred 1700+ oc to 1750mhz. Im running performance test 3 and 4 on my system and found some interesting results. The processor actually peforms better in windows xp than window 98se. The math mmx and memory benchmarks are higher in windows xp than windows 98. I wonder if there any tweaks to help windows 98 perform better.

system
xp 1700+ oc 1750
albatron kx400-8x
512mb 2100ddr oc 2700
maxtor 80gb 8mb cache hd
window 98se / windows xp dual boot
16xdvd rom
40x cdwriter
gf4 ti 4200

I found the same results. I installed W98SE on my Celeron machine running at 1680 that was running XP. I've always got better benchmarks on older systems with W98SE than XP. The only thing that I see that would make a difference is the amount of RAM. I have 512mb on this machine and XP just does a better job of handling RAM of that size. When I get time, I will pull one of the RAM modules and repeat the test. I have a backup image of both operating systems.

Back