• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon or Athlon XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samkhadra

I wanna purchase this cpu (AMD Athlon 1700) but it doesn't state if its an XP, and I'm pretty sure they haven't made an Athlon 1700. Its on ebay, and he don't now that much about the cpu.

Anyone can help me out please!!!

Thanks in advance!!

There's no such thing as an Athlon 1700, only the XP 1700+. How much is the auction going for? becuase you can buy the chip brand new for less than $50 shipped.

Its gotta be one of two things:
an XP chip
He is wrong about the speed.

If the seller is right about the speed it could be a couple of different things still though:
XP chips have a few different cores-
Palomino was first and the 1700 Pallys were not great chips for ocing
Thoroughbred has a few sub categories, but either way is better than a Pally core. The TBred B cores are preferred.

Unless the price on this chip is absolutely fantastic- like less than $10 USD it sounds pretty risky to me.
TBred B 1700 are still available and only about $47 USD right now.
That chip sounds risky and if the seller knows that little about it, I think there is a decent chance that the chip is dead....or will be by the time it gets to you.

The athlon range stopped at 1400Mhz then the XP range started at 1500+. So it will be an XP processor one thing you want to know though is if its a Throughbred or a palamino core. You want the throughbred as these run cooler due to lower voltage operating. The Pallys run at 1.75v and the throughbreds range from 1.5v for a DLT3C and 1.6 for a DUT3c, you preferably want the DLT3C you can find it out byt looking at the chip and looking at the markings. You could e-mail the ebay seller and ask him for the full code printed on the CPU that would tell you the default voltage and the overcloking potential. Is there a pic of the CPU on the auction? If you can see a little sticker with the steppings written on it its probably a throughbred, if the stepping is printed on the core its self its probably a palomino. As JDXNC said you can pick them up pretty cheap new sometimes with a guranteed stepping and almost 100% to be a throughbred if its new.

Back