• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Does rasing the FSB raise cpu temperatures or does only increasing the voltages do that?

Depends on how much you raise it. A few ticks you probably won't notice much of a difference. Crank it up, and you will see a temperature increase.

ok, and what will the signs of unstableness be...? if my computer completely locks up and won't accept keyboard and mouse inputs... is that because the fsb is too high withought enough voltage?

The CPU power output is a function of both core voltage and internal speed

Power = k*(vcore^2)*internal freq. - where K varies from processor to processor.

If a computer becomes unstable due to heat random errors may occur in programs and "illegal operations" will happen. If it gets more severe then the computer may lock up completely.

but when that happened the temp was 45C which is the same as my regular load temps (not oced) could it just have been windows?

The noise level would have been the same but at a higher frequency the noise can contribute significantly in the failure of the CPU operations. Imagine jitters and fluctuations on a square wave - this is your CPU running at stock speed. Now when you overclock to the max on a particular voltage the CPU doesn't have square waves running through - the waveform speeds are approaching that of the switch on and switch off times of the little logic gates and so you end up with a more trapezoidal wave. Noise has more impact on this wave as there is a bigger percentage of uncertainty around the 1/2 way mark - the voltages are at that point for slightly "longer" - or for a bigger portion of the wave, so any slight variation due to thermal noise wll result in the CPU becoming unstable, even if the noise (temperatures) were the same as when the CPU was running slower.

L337 M33P said:
The noise level would have been the same but at a higher frequency the noise can contribute significantly in the failure of the CPU operations. Imagine jitters and fluctuations on a square wave - this is your CPU running at stock speed. Now when you overclock to the max on a particular voltage the CPU doesn't have square waves running through - the waveform speeds are approaching that of the switch on and switch off times of the little logic gates and so you end up with a more trapezoidal wave. Noise has more impact on this wave as there is a bigger percentage of uncertainty around the 1/2 way mark - the voltages are at that point for slightly "longer" - or for a bigger portion of the wave, so any slight variation due to thermal noise wll result in the CPU becoming unstable, even if the noise (temperatures) were the same as when the CPU was running slower.

that kinda went over my head :eek:

Basically L337 M33P was saying that the more you overclock, the cooler your CPU needs to be to stay stable. You might experience instability at 60C at stock, but overclocked you might get hang-ups around 50 or 55C. Another thing to watch for is your northbridge temperature. As an example, your CPU will be at 45C at 2200MHz, whether that's 12.5x176 or 11x200; your northbridge temperature will be higher at 200FSB, so it could be your chipset providing instability.

Instability can be caused by other components, pci, video cards, etc. Without knowing your system it's hard to say (nforce board with pci/agp lock?)

L337 M33P said:
Do you want a longer explanation or the same one with more paragraph breaks? :D

a simpler one :D

agp lock...?

system
2.8C
Gigabyte 8KNXP
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Corsair 3200 LL Ram
Audigy 2
anything else?

stan03 said:

agp lock...?

system
2.8C
Gigabyte 8KNXP
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Corsair 3200 LL Ram
Audigy 2
anything else?
AGP/PCI lock is an option in the bios that allows you to up the fsb but lock the frequency the pci cards and video card gets. I looked up a review of your mobo (here) and your bios has that option. Check that. Also RAM timings and settings can cause instability.

oh, yea i can change the fsb without changing tha 33/66 thingy. Is that what you mean? ram timings. they are set on auto, and the ram is actually running slower than thier rated speed.

stan03 said:
oh, yea i can change the fsb without changing tha 33/66 thingy. Is that what you mean? ram timings. they are set on auto, and the ram is actually running slower than thier rated speed.
Yes that is what I meant. If it is quality ram running slower than its rated speed then it could be a few things. Maybe your chip is at its max, or maybe you are at your mobo's max. I am not familiar with intel boards or gigabyte so I cannot say how well they overclock. Check out the gigabyte section of the mobo's and ask what others are getting. What is your fsb by the way?

I dont overclock yet so i dont have any experiance with northbridge cooling but i would say thet that system lookks like it will do a good job.

you should look around at the shops and find old heatsinks to add on all the chips on you mobo.

plus goodair flow you probibly already have and the extra small$ for the old heatsinks will be worth it, I did it to my brothers computer heatsink on every chip i could cost me 40 but the only thing that was ever hot was the cpu cuz of the stock fan lol

try it

fsb= not overclocked yet=200 sometimes as 215... and once at 230, but the comp froze up one me :(

EDIT: and oh yea, the 8knxp is a pretty nice board as is the RAM...

Back