• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the quietest 92mm fan ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackal2513

hiya,

i have a very quiet 120 mm papst and a very quiet papst 8412NGL

thing is i am getting a 92mm thermochill rad and was wondering which is teh quietest fan available at this size. The choice i have in teh uk seems to be:

1. Zalman 92mm Fan ~20dba
2. Vantec 92mm Stealth Fan ~20dB
3. Papst 3412NL 25.3 cfm at 14 dBa at 1350 rpm

i guess eveything points to the papst ? seems like it'll push 5cfm more than the 80m 8412 NGL at almost the same noise level

anyone have an experience bearing in mind that i am used to very silent fans and wont really tolerate any noise of any sort

papst is pretty much the king of silence, but the prices are outrageous...

if you can afford $20 USD for a 120mm fan that pushes as much air as an $4 USD fan, go for it.

I've heard from numerous sources that Papsts aren't all that their said to be... Different manufacturers measure sound levels differently, and I think this might be the case with the Papst.

I'd choose Zalman for this kinda thing, and have had nothing but good quality products from them.

Panaflo's. Love em. And you can't beat their cfm/dBA. I think they OVERrate their dBA. I can barely hear my 32dBA rated fan with the cover off.

Lithan said:
Panaflo's. Love em. And you can't beat their cfm/dBA. I think they OVERrate their dBA. I can barely hear my 32dBA rated fan with the cover off.

Agreed Panaflo's rule all in the dba to cfm dept.

I have the Zalman 92mm fans you are asking about. Its barely audible when its at 20dba. I can still barely hear it but when my case is put together I can't.

The resistor they include to keep that fan running quiet gets pretty dang hot. Those power resistors always do.

I would go with either papst or panaflos. I have been especially pleased with my two 120mm papst case fans.

hey mystypiy, are your 120mm the 4212 's ?

i have one of these and they seem rare - most people sell the 4412 which is louder i think

Nidec Beta 5 (#B34262)

These are my new favorite 12 volt 120mm fans.
At 130cfm they move more air than the 120x38mm Sunon
(aka Vantec Tornado) and have a lower tone which is more
pleasing to the ear.

53.5dBa @130cfm ... two for $10.

@ Electronic Goldmine

Good luck! ............................... 'nnock:D

jackal2513 said:
hey mystypiy, are your 120mm the 4212 's ?

i have one of these and they seem rare - most people sell the 4412 which is louder i think

Jackal, my papsts are 4412s, but I can honestly say that I have been really pleased with their noise level and performance. Where did you get your 4212?

i got my 4212 from www.kustompcs.co.uk

seems to be the only place that sells them, they have fewere blades and are much thicker and more expensive. I think they push more airflow and are even quieter

I just bought two 80mm Papst fans rated at 12dBa and I think that's meassured from about a mile away... Sure they're quiet but clearly audible at 12V. The fan on my Arctic cooling "copper silent TC" is quieter than these papst at the same rpm. The fan on the Arctic cooling never goes above 1500rpm unless I'm folding or gaming and at 1500rpm, I cannot hear it *at all*. Not even with my head inside the case. At it's max rpm, I cannot hear it with the case on.

I'm dissapointed by these expansive Papst fans but maybe I got two bad ones. I know there's something wrong with one of the fans because it's quite a bit louder than the other. Exact same models. Maybe I got the wrong model, dunno.

So, I'm taking these back to the store to get two arctic fan pro TC instead.

Just my two cents

/O

Back