• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my new fan today!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samkhadra

I just got my Volcano 7+ Today, from stock to that is a major improve in temps. But there also follows the disadvantage of a loud humming sound of the fan spinning! I will probably get used to it eventually so thats not that much of a problem unless you lot have any suggestions.

There's also another thing, which is bothering me a bit, well that switch that u get to control the fans speed, where the hell do i put it, I got an idea like to place it where a spare pci slot is, but I haven't decided yet for now its just laying in my comp.
But I was finking maybe someone had a better suggestion as to wot I could do?

Thanks in advance!!

i attatched my 7+ to a rheostat. and i hate the thing its so loud. but it does offer good cooling

you know those light dimmers? same idea. it regulates the amount of power that is given to a device, thus, in a fan's case, slows it down or speeds it up

-peter

Thanks rpckvv, can anyone give me suggestions on where to put that switch for the Volcano 7+ (Now I know why they call it volcano, cause of all that sound) Please anysuggestions!

Here's what I did..

P0002227.JPG

Used a sharp utility knife and whiddled away at it for a while. Unscrew the fan controller and then screw it back on with the front panel in the middle.. Should make sense? I also used to have a label on there with H L M (its kind of a weird set up that ThermalTake used for their controllers). It was silver with black text, made from one of those digital label makers. It was purdy, however I kept hittin it with my fingernail, so it was peeling.

No doubt a dremel or other rotary tool would make easy work of this, however I don't own one. Its not working right now, as I got a great Zalman cooler in there now... Might have to adapt this mod for the Fan Mate sometime.

Couldn't think of this one? ;)

Last edited:
rpckvv said:
you know those light dimmers? same idea. it regulates the amount of power that is given to a device, thus, in a fan's case, slows it down or speeds it up

-peter

A rheostat is basically a variable resistor. It does not regulate power. A device that actually regulates power is a bit smarter, it actually looks at the output and tries to keep it constant.

Thanks for that Ffat, I've managed to do that thing with a little melting here and there (I didn't have a sharp enough knife) but it all worked out well for me thanks!

Back