• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New *Super Rig*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOv3r1De

Disabled
Well in addition to my VapoChill PE I decided to get the following

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ DLT3C (JIUHB:0310)
Abit NF7-S v2 Motherbord
Kingston HyperX PC-3700 512mb Dual Channel Kit

Overnight delivery so it gets here at the same time with my Vapochill...

Now thinking of adding 2 WD hdds 120mb Sata Raid

Any ideas what kind of an overclock I will get with this rig..

My ideas is somewhat between 2.7~3.5Ghz i have seen ALOT of 1700+'s Dlt3c's above 3Ghz on the overclockers database and some of them were on water! And I am using a vapo....

Plz tell me what you think. I am new to AMD ocing but I have oced Intel P4 3.0c's

Sorry to burst your bubble, dude, but just about all of those "overclocks" on the database are fake. Don't get your hopes up too high, 2.75ghz is just about the max possible on a Vapochill, 2.6ghz on water, and 2.5ghz on air. Your stepping is good though, so I'd expect high 2.6ghz to low 2.7ghz, certainly an excellent overclock nonetheless.

with that system why 2 120s? why not a single 36.7 raptor as a boot drive then the 120's as extra storage? as for the chip, you should be able to get a decent overclock out of it, but as gautam said, dont be hoping for too much. its not stable until it runs prime95 or something similar stable for around 24 hours. with thw wincpuid you dont have to be stable under load, you only have to be able to get to windows and take a screen shot. but anyway, best of luck to you

i can always buy more money is not the option since i had a 3.0c before but i decided to sell it because a 1700+ @ 2.7ghz would blow out anything clocked at 3.6ghz

I'd stay at around 1.875v or so. Remember, a Vapochill isn't liquid nitrogen; its a very nice cooling solution, but its not going to give temps really far below ambient. 3.5ghz has only been done by two processors, AFAIK, in the history of time,under -170C. Just play it safe; Vapochills don't perform much higher than water.

Yeah if you could get a Raptor instead of one of the 120s for a boot drive, you'll be glad you did. Mine is amazing. :)

3.5ghz LOL

O did you say intel or amd?

Intel yes all day.

Amd good luck I would like to see a real screenie of 3.5 on a amd.

No, you will not be getting anywhere near 3.5ghz, and the only way you will be getting close to 3.0ghz would be with prometia.

I also think your ram will be a limiting factor in here, unless the motherboard allows high multipliers...which I think you will be using. In all actuality, when you get close to the 1ghz overclock mark, you REALLY start slowing down. That is why prometia is good, because you can get ~ -30 temps....If you had gotten two sticks of pc3200 twinx ram...then you would have a much faster computer in the end...being able to run 230fsb or so can really make a difference over 210 + higher multi.

If you want fast hard drive performance. Get two raptors and RAID 0 them on the SATA controller, and then just use a 120gb IDE Western Digital for storage. The two raptors have AMAZING speed, especially when it comes to large files, and installations.

Good luck with the new computer parts. 2.0v should be fine with vapochill...I brought my old 1600+ to 2.0v on AIR, and it worked just fine all the way up to 2.1ghz. Have some fun.

I would say hyperX is generally very nice ram. Still, I agree that the prometia is the way to go, especially with an amd. I've heard that it can be very dificult to mount the vapochill head unto the processor, and plenty of people have actually managed to kill their processors doing it.

i know what he said, but the kingston, even though it is rated at 3700 speed (466mhz i believe) doesnt mean it will reach that speed.... that is why corsair pc3200 is good, because people have frun 250fsb with it...with low voltages (or at least below the warraty void)

well i got everything today and i killed it.

when mounting that head i was very careful but during tightning the cpu clips flew off and chipped the core =( byebye $73

going back to intel this is some scary sh** amd is very good but the cpu core is too fragile. it will be a cold day in hell before i ever ruin a p4 chip.

Dude, you crushed your own cpu due to overtighening your cooling system. there's has to have been many post by Vaporchill users on how to not crush the cpu upon mounting it. We would of liked to see how far you cud of pushed that xp up the ladder ! ! :(

there might be a cpu shim (non-conductive cpu cover), that would help protect your cpu during installation of your headgasket cooler mechanism. might want to asked the guys on the extreme cooling section to see if that would work for you. I do know that it does work for the TBreds with the oversized and overwieght heatsinks... again, go to the forums which covers your promethia (mispelled) system.

Back