• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy Tune 4/other advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fencer04

Hey guys,
I am back to overclocking after a long hiatus. My last overclock was on a ASUSA7V using a Duron 700. My new project is centered around a Gigagyte GA8KNXP and an Intel 2.4 800mHZ. My first question is whether or not you guys use the Easy Tune 4 program to overclock using this board or do you just go through the bios like I have done in the past. Also, I have lapped the stock Intel HS and was wondering if it is worth investing in an after market HS or if the lapped Intel will suffice. I am trying to get up to 250 FSB and around 3 ghz. Any other advice would also be great, thanks in advance for the info.

Welcome to the forums.

I didnt have much luck with easy tune. I like the old fashioned way better. I do like the @BioS though. If your OCing youll need a better heatsink. That one just wont cut it. Before you start OCing, I would get a digital temp sensor as close to the CPU as possible. Temps are the most important thing and BIOS isnt very trust worthy, Ive found out.

Another thing that good to do, is go into bios and lock the AGP/PCI bus. If you start OCing some cards cant handle the increase in bus speed.

Hope this helps some. Good luck. K1ll1nT1m3

Yea, I will have to lock the AGP because I am using a All in Wonder 128 Pro for now since I have not gotten up enough cash for the Radeon AIW. Also, What temps should I be looking for. I was also wondering whether or not the pc 4200 or better RAM has made a big difference for you guys, I assume that it has, I am just wondering if the extra cash is worth the increase in overclock that I will get?

I dont really know too much about DDR speeds, ( i was rambus before this ) so I cant really say too much on that one. Everyone tells me it needs to match the bus. I know in my board I can back it down so the PC3200 will work on the 133 bus. I am thinking I cant go over pc 3200, because I cant change the timing that much. I havent tried it though, so I cant really say for sure. I would post one in the memory section asking that one, just to make sure.

As far as temps, I run idle at 30c, load at 48c ( too hot ). Thats at stock speeds too. OCing doesnt really change it much ( Tt heatsink ). I get to 50c load. Thats just too hot for me. I have modded my cpu and stuck a temp sensor between the heat spreader and the cpu die, so I know those temps are right. Water cooled, I was at 30 idle and 40 load. I dont like any thing over 45. It seems the processer starts having problems around 50c.

Sorry to say this again, I really like a temp sensor on the cpu, or at least on the heatsink. On this new board, my BIOS temp doesnt even work. It allways says 32c. I know thats not right. The limit to overclocking can be really low if the cpu is too hot. Expecially on a 800mhz cpu. It uses the same cpu die as the 400mhz, so all that heat has to go somewere.

Im not trying to scare you or anything, but OCing adds heat. I would just really hate to see you lose that 800mhz cpu. 30 bucks for a Digital Doc or something just seems like a good investment to me. ( plus, they look cool too ) And it opens more mods. I put a blue led in mine, so it matches my lights.

As long as you OC in small steps, it should be fine. If you OC too much and start having problems, back it down some. ( until you find another way, hehe ) Ill shut up, cause im rambeling now, sorry. Good luck. Hope I have helped some. Just keep the questions coming. Someone will be able to help.

Back