• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vortex cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacheatamobits

hey, i just found out about this technology. aparently its been around for awhile. its called vortex. the long and short of it is using a tube, with "tangent" air hole and compressed air, you can get very efficient cooling. (or heating)

would this be ideal for use in a pc?
vortex-cooling-diagram-1.gif

this site shows some specs of their prodoucts. (43 deg. C temp drops)

i found a few companies that sell these devices for cooling of electronic industrial equip, but ive never seen a PC overclocked w/one.

obviously, the main drawbacks would be having to produce all that compressed air, and maybe noise?

that woud be really cool temps to -40c would be awsome but i think having a compressor on would be really really really loud

I thought of using the same principal to cool my CPU about two years ago, while I was working as a mechanic. But, I found that while it was a neat idea, there were a few problems with it. You'd need a fairly decent sized compressor to pressurize the system (noisy and relatively large). You'ed need a tank, for the compressed air, to keep the pressure for the system (decently large). Designing and building a block for the CPU. The discharge from the system would be REALLY noisy. There's also the cost of putting together such a system. I seriously tossed the idea for about 3 - 4 months, but ran out of ideas to keep the cost and size of the system down. If you can think of anything, I'd really like to hear your ideas.

I have used some of these "Vortex Coolers" at work. They work great, but they require a HUGE amount of compressed air. You would need about 10-15 CFM @ 90-100 PSIG for the cooler to really do any good. The air compressor required to supply this much air would cost about $400-600, and the electricity cost to run the compressor would also be very expensive.

HERE is a compressor at Sears that makes 10 SCFM @ 90 PSIG.

gotcha...

well, it would still be neat if someone did it (that already had these components) just to see how effective it is.

the only thing i can think of to keep the cost (and noise) DOWN would be some type of air-recovery-device. (at the cpu/block itself)

you would need a pretty good working knowlege of this tech. if you were to design on of these, though!

btw, the noise of the compressor ITSELF is not an issue. you could put it in another room (or your basement/garage) and would go un-noticed!

one more thing... isnt the cost of a vapo unit comprable to a compressor?

Back