• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NorthBridge Mounting mechanisms for i875 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nycundaground

OK guys, i finished my 2nd slk-900u northbridge mod. I chipped of 4 fins from each side and i used 4 hook like metal parts from the slk-900u accessory package to hold the heatsink down.

img_1004.jpg

i have a big bag of assorted rubber bands and I picked out the ones with the smallest diameter with good thickness. But after one night, i noticed one if the rubber bands snapped. So, im currently using 2 of my gf's hair bands. And they are holding it as of now.

I have seen some pictures of some very unique northbridge cooler hold-downs here at XS, but i cant seem to find the threads that showed them. So if anybody knows of any unique nortbridge hold downs, can u please post it here so i can get a picture of what i can do with my mod.

Wow that is awesome nycundaground :eek:

I'm not sure what would work as a better clip; would any of the metal fan mounting brackets in the kit be usable? You could try some AS3 adhesive if you don't plan on taking it off, I'm not sure if it could hold that thing if you mixed it!

eww, that's frightening!

rubber bands don't last very long. The dry out, and so forth. Worst of all, they MELT! Their elasticity varies greatly with temperature.

I think you should use zip-ties, at the least. Even better, find some thin hose-clamp made of metal and just scew it down until before you hear the cracking.

or something like that. But those rubber bands are ghetto-max!
--- and doomed!

thanks guys. I really would liek to know if you guys have seen in other forums and seen some unique northbridge mounting mechanisms. I know there are a lot of people out there who have done some sort of northbridge mod, put i want the pics so i can get an idea of how i should make mine. thanks

I too want to see a nice nifty little guide for those of us who want to do this. my way is also extreme ghetto-fab-u-goodness, but it works. what ya can do is either unsolder/break/drill out the clips
(the one that tend to break themselves off anyways)
and epoxy/glue the motherboard stand offs in place, thereby having something to screw a heatsink into :D
IF your sure you wont be hurting any trace or you have complete
motherboard clearance, you can also drill mounting holes
similar to the socket a ones into your board, but i have an is7-e and i wouldnt recommend it for these abit boards.
anyways, glueing on some tall nuts/motherboard stand offs works wonders, and then you can really crank down some pressure if you so desire.

cheers
Double post deleted as you requested.
- eobard :)

Back