• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 benches and comparisons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This just confirms that first gen A64s won't be much use to current users.

Most AXPs owners can get their TbredBs/Bartons to 2.3 - 2.4GHz, which would give a 2GHz single channel A64 a run for it's money - for a lot less money. ;)

DC-DDR A64 FXs will no doubt perform a bit better, but the astronomical cost at launch will drive away most people. How many people do you see buy 3.2Cs and 3200+s? Very few.

AMD CPUs have traditionally had a great price/performance ratio, which the A64s certainly don't provide, and won't for quite some time until we get some serious price cuts.

I don't think there will be many A64 users until well into 2004.

Hopefully, by then, the prices would've tumbled, the yields would've improved, and AMD would get the Socket mess worked out.

I will actually buy one FX-51 as long as the price is lower than Opteron 244. I'll use it for a server. I think it certainly makes more sense than Opteron to me, as long as the prices are lower.
Meaning not more than $600. Otherwise they can look for buyers elsewhere.
I also expect that motherboard prices are less than $200 because current Opteron motherboards are way above that, and memory to be non-registered.
AMD needs to start thinking what part of market they want.

And if FX-51 cannot be overclocked, AMD is finished as far as my purchases are concerned. After 5-6 years of being almost exclusive AMD customer maybe it is a time for a complete change.

Last edited:
Back