• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp higher with 120mm fans on...wierd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
Alright, so I have a Lian Li PC75 with a 120mm fan at the top, and one right next to the hard drive cage....

Hard drive temp is AT ambient, case temp is 1C above ambient at ALL times, and CPU temp stays around 40-41...but if I turn both of the 120s on full power (103 CFM a piece) my cpu temp goes up to 42-43 under the same load, but case temp stays the same.

Any ideas? or is this just one of those things....not a big deal...not overheating, just kind of curious

For a 1C difference it could be possible that the faster airflow is pushing a little more heat energy off the components into the HS fan intake - that is, maybe the airflow pattern changes detrimentally and local temperature differences inside the case become apparent through the CPU reading. :eh?:

Perhaps when the fans are running slower the air is following smooth flow patterns, but when the fans are running faster they create more turbulence and create pockets of air that warm up slightly more and this is causing higher CPU temps.

INSERT CRAPPY ANALOGY HERE:

Just like a river - there can be a high velocity flow moving a high volume of water and right next to it there is a whirlpool where the volume of water entering and exiting, and hence whirlpool flow, is much lower. If the stream were flowing more slowly, then the whirlpool could actually have a higher volume of water entering and exiting it's flow because there is less turbulence holding the water back.

same thing happens with my case... maybe its forcing the air by too fast and the fan on the heatsink actually pushes less air onto the heatsink? maybe.... just a thought :p

i dunno...i have an slk-800 and the flat side is pointing down... i mean the fins go laterally across the case, so i dont know why it is effecting the airflow of the cpu fan.

I think that when you're running the 120s at full speed, the air flow will go from the intake to the 120 blowhole, bypassing your hs. another solution is to duct the air from your 120 intake directly to your hs.

(this is rangerjoe talking)

I like my case being very clean inside, barely any of the cables are showing, so running a huge duct wouldnt be ideal

Back