• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1700+ - multipliers 11.5 and higher innaccesible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cintrone

Registered
I have an Epox 8RGA+ and a XP1700+ 0319 but when I try to use
any multiplier above 11 the computer will crash no matter how much I change the voltages. Is there a wire trick that will allow me to access these multipliers without causing any physical changes to the CPU itself. Any suggestions or referals to other forums who might be of help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

With certain mobos you cannot select certain multipliers.
You can so that's not your problem.

The cause of your problem are other components. If you post all of them, people will tell you what you can expect to do with them.

The trick is to try to lower the multiplier and try to get the highest FSB you can first, then up the multipler for an overclock that will not only allow you to boot into Windows but allow you to pass Prime95 Torture test for 12 hours without the program displaying errors.

Other forums suck.

Post all your system info here & we'll help you.

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

I've got a problem with my 8RDA where the 10x and 10.5x multiplier won't work with a FSB above 203. This is odd being that the CPU readily runs faster than those speeds. Other users have the same problem.

I bring this up only to let you know that it's possible to have that sort of issue.

My buddy with a 8rda+ has the same problem... but limited to 12.5x multiplier.

You can cut the last L3 bridge and all the upper multipliers would then work for ya.

See this:
I try to use any multiplier above 11 the computer will crash...

He's saying his problem is not that he can't select the multis, it's that it becomes unstable (since he's probably keeping the same FSB and just upping the multis).

I am able to access all multipliers thru the motherboard from 5x to 24x. I was able to run stable 11x210 yet if I try for example 12x200 or 12.5x200 I can't because windows will not boot at all. I read somewhere that this problem is not present in motherboards such as the NF7-S because it has a feature not present in Epox Motherboards which allows you to use multipliers higher than the default multiplier of 11x of this processor in particular without any CPU modifications or wire tricks. The rest of my setup is Antec Sonata Case with 5 Sunon Case fans, Enermax 560W PSU, SLK-900U heatsink with Smart-Fan II, Vantec Iceberg on Northbridge and Zalman Passive Heatsink on Southbridge. Memory is Buffalo PC3700 with Winbond BH5 chips (2x256mb) running at a relax 2.5,3,3,5. I know this motherboard is capable of much more than just 11.5 x200 or 11x210. I know that I can't expect to achieve FSB of 220 or higher because I am using the onboard graphics card but I have read that most people can achieve at least 215 even when using the onboard graphics card.

Oops I forgot to mention my voltages:

CPU 1.75v
Memory: 2.9v
Agp: 1.6v
Northbridge: 1.8v
Thanks

1.75 V ain't gonna cut it for over 210 FSB. That's your problem.
1.8x V will.

Keep in mind that the resulting GHz average for the chip is 2.3 GHz.
(Post the chip code)

It's a myth that 1700+ B's are guaranteed 2.4 or 2.5 GHz. They're guaranteed 2.3 GHz, the rest is luck of the draw.

Great setup by the way.

EDIT: GHz instead of MHz, I said MHz
dunce -->:santa2:

Last edited:
Back