• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sk7+smartfan2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Ok, just bought my sk-7 heatsink by thermalright and the thermaltake smart case fan 2... but neither come with ANY installation manuals or anything for that matter.. i tried to look online but nothing.. does anyone know a link where it shows the installation? The heatsink seems to be pretty straight forward, but how to install the fan on top of the sink doesn't look that easy.. also, I want to use the temperature sensor to control fan speed.. the sk-7 comes with these brackets which seem to be for fan installation, but i also can't figure out if that is all that will be holding the fan down or what?!

EDIT: Should I put the thermal sensor on the side of the heatsink or on the bottom between the cpu and heatsink? It says on Tt site not to put too much pressure on the sensor, so this makes me wonder.

Last edited:
you can put the thermal sensor next to the part of the heatsink that touches the core, just dont let it contact the die, or it will... die :)
for installation, just find the correct brackets to hold the fan, yes thats all that will be holding it :)

To install the fan you need to find the right clip. The hsink comes with 4 sets so you need to find the one that is for 80x25mm. (the samller of the two for 80mm) Then you hook the ends of the clip into the small holes in the corners at the base of the sink then the clip hooks over the top of the fan. Included with the hsink are 2 rubber strips these can be placed under the fan before you clip it down to reduce vibration and noise.

LOL i see your from Sudbury in Canada im from Sudbury in England! :D

Edit: i got the size wrong, changed it now

Last edited:
Heres a pic hope it helps

DSCF0004.JPG

I had better luck using the manual control. The thermistor doesn't crank up the fan to max of 4800 until 55C. I manually set mine to about 4200.

Yeah, I figured it all out, but thanx for the replies anyway.. I don't think my thermal sensor works cuz the fan is going full blast.. I put the jumper on (i think I read aobut that on their site) but nothing, and I put the sensor on the side of the heatsink using the 3M tape that came with it..

Anyhow, my cpu temp is now 34C idle instead of 56C, which is absolutely amazing.. I still haven't checked out load temp.

Hmm, the thermal connector doesn't seem to work.. perhaps I should have put the jumper on the "other" connector? I read somewhere to put the jumper on there, so I just assumed.. The fan is spinning at top rate all the time, as if I set it for function one, but the thermal sensor is connected properly..

btw, Slater, I am not from Sudbury, Canada, I just live there for 8 months since I got to University there, lol... still a cool coincidence.

You lost me...you seem to imply that you have 2 2-pin connections. You should have only 1 2-pin connection to switch between the temp sensor, manual control knob, and jumper.
The jumper should not be on there. The jumper connecting the 2 pins is so that the fan will run at full speed at all times. Replace the jumper with the thermal sensor and it should cool according to temperatures.

My SF2 has two 2-pin connectors. The manual that came with my Volcano 11 shows that the manual controls go on the one with red wires, or for full speed put a jumper on that. For thermal control, put the thermal sensor on the connector with yellow wires, and a jumper on the red wires.

Okay, I was mistaken. It does have 2 connections...I went straight to the full speed setting so I didn't experiment with mine:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1357.htm

It seems all you need is the thermal sensor on the red connection for that. For full speed, the jumper needs to be on the red. For manual control, the jumper on the red as well as the control knob on the yellow.

Back