• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cypher720

Well...im usin an Millenium Glaciator II (I guess its kinda old now..lol), and im gettin some new coolermaster fans, a new case (less fans), and a nexus rheostat.

I wasnt plannin on it...but now i want to make my puter as quiet as can be without watercoolin (not enough extra cash atm...:))

What is a good heatsink, that is not too loud...but is not to crappy or expensive.

sorry for being so vague...but gimme your best shot.

I dont really want to spend a lot (like lots of other people), but i want to know my options

thanks a lot! (btw...its an Athlon XP 1800 that im running)

Zalman recently came out with the 7000A... Might be worth checking out for quiet operation.

The better the heatsink is ranked, the better it will perform with a quiet fan.

Look here for rankings:

www.overclockers.com/articles373/

The sk7 would be my recommendation because it performs great and it comes with a moderate price tag. Someeone else recommended the Smart fan 2 because it has adjustable speed, so it can be made to be quiet or to perform very well - you can find what fits you.

EDIT: A joke is one thing, but if it goes on for an entire thread it can seem a lot like mockery. :-/

Last edited:
Spend the cash on the SK7? The SK7 is $16 here and the "Silent Boost" is $27 here or $40 here. So even with buying the seperate fan the SK 7 will be cheaper - maybe you were thinking of the slk series heatsinks, those are pricey. The SK 7 is a proven performer from a company with a good reputation and the silent boost is a new kid on the block from Tt = not so good company. Do what you feel better about, but I would think it's crazy to pick the SB over the SK7 when the price for the SK 7 is lower.

Yeah, just grab a high CFM fan and pair it up with a fanbus. Manual control is the way to go!

Theres only one way to find out. :p

I'd start at the fastest speed and slowly back down until you have your desired temperature and sound level.

A good rule of thumb you can follow is that the smaller the places the has to go through the louder it will be. For example any microfin heatsink is going to louder than a pin heatsink. Also you should take into consideration the actual size and fan mounting capabilities of the heatsink. For example you could get a Swiftech MCX-462+ and mount a rheostated 80mm fan on it. You would most likely achieve the cooling results you need within the noise range that is suffecient.

Thank You,
Daniel

I had a bad experience with that sk7 (asIII) on my Palomino +1700XP. I put a 80mm low flow Panaflow fan and my temps were in the mid 50's C, so I had to put a louder fan.

Back