• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting 60mm to fit an 80mm, plus two other questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zerohaste

I upgraded my PC parts a little over a month ago to a Barton 2500+, NF7-S 2.0 and 2x 256 Corsair 3200C2 RAM and stuck it all in this case. Unfortunately, it only has a 60mm exhaust fan. I have two 80mm YSTech adjustable fans (at half speed), on in the front bottom-left and one on the side, blowing air into the case right now, and an old Athlon 1.2GHz 60mm fan sucking air out. Not the best setup with the 60mm in there, but my temps have been suprisingly good at around 39C idle, 47/48 load. Then there is the dual fan Antec PSU, which acts as an exhaust too.

I have a few questions reguarding this. First, does anyone know how much air those old 60mm stock AMD fans blow? I can feel a lot of air coming out of it when I put my hand behind it (far more than my PSU spits out), but I'm assuming it's just because it's more focused, being a small fan and all.

Second, based on the picture in the link above, do you think it would be possible to cut and fit an 80mm fan on the back? The back of the case has a really odd design to it. I was thinking of using some longer screws and then some sort of round plastic, er, extender or tube to fill in the gap between the fan and case. I'll probably go ahead and try it, unless someone suggests a better method. I thought about a 60mm-80mm fan adapter, but I don't think there is enough room. The 80mm fan would end up being right next to my SLK 800U and fan.

11-156-106-02.JPG

And my last question is about ducting. The side fan on this case is aligned with the NB, not the CPU. You don't need to have the hole aligned right with the CPU to do a duct mod, would you? I'm guessing it shouldn't matter, but I'm pretty much a newbie in terms of cooling, so I thought I would ask.

EDIT: I guess make that four questions. Does anyone know if the dials on YSTech's adjustable fans are supposed to only change the speed of the fan for the last 3/4 of it? Having the dial all the way down (left) and turning it halfway to the right makes absolutely no difference in terms of how much air is being pushed. Only the last 3/4 seem to make any difference.

Last edited:
Back