• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

48c, Time for Better Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majkmil

My 2.4C is 48c at 12X270 with 1.65vlt under load on my IS7. This is with stock cooling. This is my first Intel build. I'm trying to stay under 50c, and I think this chip will go higher, so I think I need better cooling. Would like to get at least 275 maybe more. Do you think I should stay under 1.7vlt, and if so how much more do you think I may get. My mem is xms 3200 set at 3/2 @ 2.8vlt. Right now I'm just trying to find the FSB ceiling of this chip. THX

Your temps look good for stock cooling and the nice overclock you have going . I would not push or use more than 1.7v on any "C" chip as even Intel recommends no more than 1.7v .
If you upgrade from the stock cooler than maybe 1.7v .
Maybe best to wait awhile till you break-in you new cpu abit more and then try for your 275 FSB .

stereo555

48c with overclocked ( for abit board ), I think it is normal.
Mine idle at 45-48c also and I am using Swiftech MCX4000

so even with better cooling SLK, ALPHApal, etc. I should NOT go above 1.7? Default voltage is 1.52.

majkmil said:
so even with better cooling SLK, ALPHApal, etc. I should NOT go above 1.7? Default voltage is 1.52.

You CAN ..... but its just not recommened by most .
Its basicly what you feel comfortable with as far as how well your system is setup with cooling , etc .

stereo555

Does the vcore and ddr voltage settings vary on what you have in the softmenu and what is in the "health status" in the bios?

Softmenu -- Health
CPU 1.7 -- 1.68/1.69
DDR 2.8 -- 2.84

So it seems my mobo is undervolting my cpu a little and overvolting my memory quite abit. While I stress the cpu my voltage drops .02-.03. My cpu temp is 48c in health status. I've read this is reading over by maybe 10deg, this seems to be true by winbond doctor. Do you think I would be safe at 1.725 ? And what about these ddr readings in health. THX

your temps seem fine. when in doubt, feel the heatsink base with your finger.
if it burns you, or feels hot. you need better cooling.

my stock HS (not lapped, With AS3) started getting a little hot at 3.2Ghz

did you need to up the Vcore to get that puppy stable? if its calling for
1.525, it should OC very well. my 2.4C SL6WF does 3.3Ghz at 1.525V.
Prime and Sandra stable for 24+ hours.

i ignore the readings the motherboard states. i get my voltage readings
from a volt meter and my temps from my "temp probe" (finger :p)

C_H

Back