• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling setup..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I haven't ordered it yet, but I am very close to deciding on this case: http://www.xoxide.com/clearacatxca.html

Please take a look so you can help me with the following:

I am thinking of modding the front intake to take a 120mm fan..

It would be my only intake fan, and I would get a high quality 100cfm fan..

The other 4 fans you see there would be exhaust fans, all at 20-25cfm.. This would be good airflow in my opinion, but I'd like some other opinions...

btw, my cpu fan blows air AWAY from the heatsink, if that matters, although I could swich it to blow into the cpu if thats needed for better airflow in some other setup. In the setup I mentioned above, the air blowing away from the heatsink is ideal, but it wouldn't mess up the airflow even if it blew into the heatsink (methinks)

Let me know what you think, as it pertains to the fan setup in the picture.. my present case has the same setup minus the top exhaust fan, and in front i have 2 80mm 20cfm intakes..

Nice case!:D

I would have the front and the 2 on the side panel as a intakes and the top and back as exhausts. I like to have more intake than exhaust to cut down on dust! by all means mod the front to take a 120mm fan but if i did that i would still use the same setup maybe mod the top and side panel fans to 120m too

Like i said in the other post you should have the fan blowing into the hsink (sorry for flaming you a bit :()

Cool case. Why not try both ways 1-120 blowing in then switch it like slater said? Do some torture tests and see what difference it makes.

Awesome case there!!! Definitely post some pics when you are done with that baby! :) And I definitely think if you are already doing some modding you might as well convert as many of the other fans as you can to 120 mm too. Better airflow and less noise.

Thanx guys.. I will do.. gotta get that digital camera soon..

One thing though, I am still very sceptical about making my cpu fan blow onto my heatsink.. what in the world is that going to do to my airflow? I did try it though, just now on my case, and the temp stayed exactly the same, 37C idle, 42C prime95 torture test.

one thing to think about would be a high cfm fan in the top blow hole. i dont know if anyone else has had this experience, but i know i noticed a 3-5 degree decrease when i have the top of my case open to airflow

hmm, i have a bunny and a guinea pig.. they don't hang around my system much.. plus if I do find a place to buy this case here in Toronto then I'll position it on top of my desk rather then underneath, and their hair rarely gets up there.. you never know though, the bun like to jump on things..

So far I am thinking of a 120cfm intake from the front, 2 25cfm intakes from the sides, 50cfm exhaust in the rear, 80cfm exhaust on top..

As suggested, I'll try to keep positive pressure in the case, so more intake then exhaust.. but the front big intake (120) will be blowing directly on the 5 HD's I have (all slots full) so I don't know if that will be effective for overall airflow

I would probably think about adding another intake fan then Trypt. Those five (wow! How many gigs are you gonna have?) hard drives are definitely gonna put a damper on that airflow.

i have a total of 280gb or so, don't really count it.. but its never enuff.. I wish they would come up with some kind of molecular storage where a regular 3.5" drive could hold 20TB or more (saw a prototype of this) with extreme speeds, but hey, for now, I'll have to deal with 5 units..

excuse me if I'm redundant or not applicable, but...

cutting plexi can be rather delicate: very easy to crack.
small teeth, fast speed for cutter, slow motion for hand.

as far as I know...

Back