• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping the NB too far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

How do I know that I lapped the nb too far? I recently lapped the nb and sb on my nf7-S v2. I also did a vdd mod with a pencil. When I hit the switch I dont even get the fans to turn on. The power light on the mobo is working and the power switch was working just fine later today. So i basicly have no indication from the mobo if its even trying to turn on. I have a digital comera handy right now. Would anyone be able to tell if i took some closeups? I just finished bathing the mobo in alcohol to make sure it wasn't some lose graphite.

Take a picture of the Northbridge. Usually there's a very thin layer of copper over the actual core of the NB. If you went past the copper, time to get a new mobo. Also, are you sure you did the vdd mod right? I would have done these types of things one step at a time, testing after the lapping, then doing the vdd mod and testing that. Otherwise, you can't know which you messed up.

I will take a pic but I never saw any copper. This is the v2 and I dont think that it has copper, well becasue it dosn't have the metal top. Ya I should have done it one thing ay a time... sniff Well I am going to hook it up in a little bit here, I gave it that bath last night.

ahh ic so it was one of the newer northbridges which are flat to start with. humm i think you may have made a mistake there as ive never seen anyone lap them as there alredy flat. Maybe you have gone to far but as i said ive never seen anyone who has done it

Good luck:) i hope it is the vdd mod thats causing the problem

Well I am actaully re-assembling it. This morning after drying from its alcohol bath and did a very basic boot (mobo, cpu, heatsink, and power supply) and the fan started wizzing so I am confadant that it is back to normal. I will post in a little while when I have everything tested and working. Got to love alcohol baths :D

cherryp00t said:
hehe i bet you that gave you a scare eh hehe... darn those lil particles that short out your board =x

Gave me a scare is an understatment. I was ****ed out of my mind. I am not oneto be ****ed of easily, this would have been the third mobo that seemed to stop working while i was using it. But I went to the gym that night and pumped some iron and that helped.

Ok update to everyone who cares: I am currently posting from the computer. I got it setup and then I clicked the power. The fans turned off in about 1 second. A strange two tone beep continued after the mobo had powered down. I took my water block off and sure enough my cpu shim had caused it not to touch. To make a long and somwhat funny story short: I reseated the water block 4 times before I had good contact...:rolleyes: Now everything is working good. I will make another post with some of the pics in this section.

Back