• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AnyHelp Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chitownjedi

Hello, I had a dilemma with my last pc that forced me to never put the case back on my pc, I just used to leave it open- not in the open of course, because I would have to switch sound cards every OS, because of support, and with using music programs.

I have been ordering addition products, since I have gotten this new rig , and , I never closed the left side of my case because I've had to switch IDE and hard drives frequently.

I recently ran Prime95, and my system froze at 51c, the highest it has ever been, after 10 minutes.

I decided to experiment, and take the huge fan that sits in my window, and put it by my leg and point into my case, I ran prime95 again, and watched as it went on for 40 minutes, and my cpu temp hover around 47c48c It could have kept going but I decided to go out and by a small box fan, about the height of a sheet of notebook paper and thicker then a HD, and place it right by the open side of my case. I ran Prime again and my temps stayed around 43c, and my cpu temp is 41c, even though I have now raise my OC to 162*11.5 and 1.8 vcore.

IS using this method safe? Because even though my temp is fine, when i play games after a minute they just cut off and im on my desktop.

That is a safe, somewhat acceptable method of cooling; but, I think you have more problems to worry about than your cooling. No CPU on the market today should freeze up at 51C. My first recommendation: get MBM 5 or some other monitoring program and check your voltages. If your power supply is weak, the voltages will be unstable, which could very well be causing your freezes and the problems with your games.

A bit more information would help. What kind of equipment are you cooling and (other than the big fan) what are you cooling it with?

Back