• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: my PC sounds like a raging beast!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toasty_Squirrel

Ok, so I'm beyond the "my computer hums me to sleep" faze. The bugger's so loud that I actually shut it off so I can watch movies on my TV (in the same room)! When the computer is shut off, you can actually hear the difference three rooms away! I am now building a new system and thus as I begin to contemplate what pieces to throw into my new rig I am faced with the delema:

"using fan cooling, how do I keep my new baby from turning into a screaming banshee while simutaneously keeping her cool enough to handle hardcore games?"

Future planned parts:
- AMD Athlon +2600
- MoBo: to-be-determined
- ATI +9700
- 1GB DDR ram
- 1-2 100GB HDDs
- Creative Gamer sound card (or something)

So I'm wondering (aside from trying to insulate my rig) does anyone have any suggestions on quite fans or anything of the sort?

Thanks again everyone!
-Toasty :cool:

hey ummm i have the same problem, (depending on how loud is to loud for u!)

But i have just orderd a sunbeam fan controller for my tornado fan maybe u should get a sunbeam or something like it so u can speed those fans up when ur gonna play games ;)

Just a thought :)

u some vantec stealth fans and use a good hsk of just go stovk on everything and no o/c and u will be fine

I have some computers like that: you can hear them as you walk up my front walk from the street :D

Mine are in the cellar however and are NOT computers that are normally used- Distributed Computing Farm rigs.

A few options for you:
overclock less (impossible for me but.....)
spend the dough on an EXCELLENT heatsink like an SLK and then use a mid-level fan on lower voltage. (A rheobus is are a good buy, IMO)
Or my preferred option: water cooling :D

Water cooling can get you to a completely silent system if you want, or more easily (and more cheaply) one that is very quiet yet still perfroms quite well.

Try a Zalman sink and get a good rheostat fan controler so you can turn it down a bit for watching movies:D

edit: or like rd says get a high end thermalrite slk-900 and use a slow 92mm fan

well, i'm using the Lian-li PC-6070 but I replaced the acoustic foam with some power-snooze foam from quietpc.com. I covered the inside of the front door as well as the top/bottome/sides. I replaced the front intake fans with some 80x25mm YS-Tech 48.5CFM / 36.9dBA 4-pin Case Fans. I's also using a 92mm Tornado as my hs fan. I reduced the speed of the tornado using the Nexus fan controller. I also build a sound box that the case sits on top of. This sound box acts as a filter and sound reducer. Currently I can barely hear it running.

I had the same problem - a very noisy computer - until I stopped caring about the one to two degree difference between a high and low CFM fan. As long as you get acceptable temperatures and your rig is trouble-free thats all that matters.

Directron UV reactive fans:
dead silent, just airflow noise
good air

Tips:
use grommets
space fans a few MMs off the cases metal (makes a funny noise)
cut out restrictive premade factory grills
stay away from noise dampening mats,, all they do is trap heat and turn down noise A LIL BIT

my computer isnt that loud (in my opinion, my girlfriend always turns it off) but sometimes when i put certain CDs in the drive sounds like a chainsaw, ive had people come in from 3 rooms away to ask what that noise was, lol

Bigger fans is definitely a good idea, the bigger they are the more air they move and the quieter they are. If you are really overclocking you should probably go to water cooling or invest in an slk-900 or something that can use a big fan. Papst and panaflos are great fans, my 120mm papsts are quiet and keep things cool.

panaflo fans... All you need to know. Get a PSU with one fan and replace the fan with a panaflo. Get a large heatsink and a panaflo 80mm for it. Watercooling is also an option, in that case a 120mm fan at 7v should be pretty much silent too cool the radiator, and then 80mm panaflo low noise fans for the case fans.

There was an article on the front page a couple weeks ago about noise controll, it was pretty good. He actually recommends PC power and cooling fans, but they are pretty close to panaflo, and the panaflo can be gotten for arround 3 bucks sometimes.

OC-overkill said:
I's also using a 92mm Tornado as my hs fan. I reduced the speed of the tornado using the Nexus fan controller. I also build a sound box that the case sits on top of. ... Currently I can barely hear it running.
Hmm...I also have a 92mm Tornado on a Nexus. Even at the Nexus' lowest setting (7 volts) it still makes an annoying buzz. Maybe it's time for some foam, or would the two 120mm sidepanel holes I have right over the Tornado defeat the purpose?

I would also reccomend a baybus or something of the sort. I wouldn't worry too much about air cooling. I have a similar settup, and I have 2 fans in front, and 1 in back. Quiet and effective, but have fans blowing over the harddrives (learned that the hard way :-/ ). BTW, nice name. :D :)

my computer which is in my bedroom sound like a jet, i can't even hear the cd-rom loading...
2x 120mm fans
2x 80mm fans
enermax 500W don't even knows if that psu is quiet...
i really need to buy a fan controller because whe i turn off my computer which is realy rare, it's like TOO quiet and i think i'll sleep better.

Back